Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 9000

Disabling Memory Cleaning

Hi there,

I happened to enable Memory Cleaning (under Options > Security Options > Memory Cleaning) say a week back and just noticed that there is now a little red padlock icon at that option - I am no longer able to turn off Memory Cleaning.

I have looked around for information on this and:

- Apparently that red lock has to do with policy implemented through BES, but I am a consumer user (on BIS on which such policies do not exist)

- (I could have misinterpreted the information but) in a developers' discussion it was pointed out that once the memory cleaning listener is active it might not be disabled..? 

I lock my keypad all the time and that invokes the memory cleaning process - which I don't require on such a frequent basis (if at all, now that I think about it...).

I don't have (and never had) Content Protection turned on, if that matters. The only activities that transpired over that one week would be application installations and I am just wondering if someone has any idea on how I can disable memory cleaning without trying to un/re-install those applications..?

Advice much appreciated.

Thanks!

S

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Disabling Memory Cleaning

Confirm you have no IT Policy on the device at Options > Security > General Settings > **services** what is listed there?
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Under Services I have just:

WLM 2.1 [WLMAP01] (AES)

I suppose that is Windows Live Messenger. 

In a separate section below on the same General Settings screen I have:

Secure GC Enabled

but I have no idea what that is. There does not seem to be any special options for that item (apart from the usual Wipe Handheld, Verify Security Software etc).

If it helps, I also have Google Maps, Viigo and Worldmate on the phone apart from WLM. That should be about all the third-party apps I installed on my own.

Thanks J! 

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

[ Edited ]

The Secure GC is a google chat or app policy, and you are correct about the WLM being the Live messenger, so neither of those should affect this.

Then, I don't know why the lock icon is  present at the Memory Cleaning option. You should be able to simply disable that. 

With the BlackBerry device powered ON, remove the battery a few seconds and then reinsert the battery to reboot.

Check again now, is the Memory Cleaner still locked?

Message Edited by JSanders on 05-10-2009 11:36 PM
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Ah so that's what Secure GC is. Google Chat (or rather Google Talk) just appeared under Downloads after my carrier activated BIS for me, along with Yahoo Messenger, Yahoo Search and Facebook.

I have tried both soft and hard resets/battery pulls and I also tried disabling my cellular network connection before rebooting, just in case the lock was somehow enforced over the network. Unfortunately none of those worked and I am no longer able to toggle the memory cleaning option.

I'll try my luck the next time I perform an upgrade. For now I guess I can bear with the memory cleaning every time I lock my keypad. Thanks for the very responsive help in any case! 

S

My Device: Storm 9530; Curve 8900

I'm not sure if you guys have resolved this yet, but the app that's preventing you from disabling the memory cleaning is WorldMate Live.  I had the same trouble on my Storm, and it perplexed the heck out of me until I started uninstalling apps one by one.  I've also verified it on an old 8820 - with WorldMate installed, memory cleaning is automatically enabled and locked in place.  I don't know why WorldMate does this (I emailed their customer support, but since I'm not a pro user I'm not important enough for them to respond to).
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S II SkyRocket (yes, Android)
My Carrier: AT&T

[ Edited ]

Well, I, too, have that little red dot. But, I have never even heard of WorldMate Live. There must be some other reason for having the setting locked.

Oh, and under services, I have *** no services ***

Message Edited by er2joe on 07-20-2009 02:01 PM
My Device: Bold 9650

If you have encryption enabled, this could force you to have memory cleaning enabled. I had this same problem. I disabled encryption and it automatically disabled memory cleaning. However, I decided to keep the encyption enabled even though it means my phone periodically takes 5 minutes to clear the temporary device memory.

Options> Security Options> Encryption

If that's enabled, disable it, then:

Options> Security Options> Advanced Security Options> Memory Cleaning

It should either be disabled or allow you to disable it now.

Hope that helps!

My Device: Not Specified

had the same issue - which was getting really annoying as pretty much every time I wanted to unlock the device i had to wait. thanks to the previous post - helped me to figure out my settings which are different though: this is what worked:

go to options-security options-general settings-content protection set to disable.

then go to options- security options- memory cleaning and the "lock" should be gone set to disabled and the annoyance is gone.

Now if someone could tell me exactly what the implications are of having those settings versus having content protection and memory cleaning enabled....

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

savvy21 wrote:

had the same issue - which was getting really annoying as pretty much every time I wanted to unlock the device i had to wait. thanks to the previous post - helped me to figure out my settings which are different though: this is what worked:

go to options-security options-general settings-content protection set to disable.

then go to options- security options- memory cleaning and the "lock" should be gone set to disabled and the annoyance is gone.

Now if someone could tell me exactly what the implications are of having those settings versus having content protection and memory cleaning enabled....

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Both are Security-related items...see these KBs for reference:

• KB03862BlackBerry smartphone memory cleaner
  • KB19371BlackBerry smartphones with content protection and memory cleaner turned on may experience slow performance
  •  KB15368What are the content protection strength settings
  • KB15244What is Content Protection and Encryption on BlackBerry smartphone
  • KB20451BlackBerry smartphone performance considerations when content protection is turned on

There likely are more, but that's a start (you can search the public KBs for more if you desire). Basically, it comes down to the level of security that you are subject to. If you are, for instance, a government employee that must fully protect sensitive data contained on the BB, then you might want these activated. Otherwise, if you use a device lock password, you would IMHO have adequate protection of your data on your BB. Note that the "Memory Cleaner" does not do what many assume it to do -- it is not a "defrag".

Hope that helps!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................