Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: at&t

Disabling Touchscreen

Is there a way to temporarily disable the touchscreen?  I'd prefer to do this via one of the physical buttons if possible.

(In the course of my work, I'm often in relatively high RFI environments (but not beyond safe human exposure limits and often nowhere near such) which cause the touchscreen to start acting on its own (or sensing nearby objects as a finger touching the screen) and the phone becomes useless until I leave the area as it fights everything I do.  I'm looking at replacing my 9800 with a 9810 or an entirely different device.  While I'd like to stay with the Blackberry Torch line, I may end up moving to something different if this problem cannot be resolved.)

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Disabling Touchscreen

Almost 99% of the functions on the 9800 (and the 9810) can be performed using the trackpad and the menu key. You can also lock the phone thereby disabling the touchscreen (and the trackpad, unfortunately). If using these two suggestions helps you then stay with the Torch lineup. If they don't help, it might be time to look at a phone with just a physical keyboard.

I hope that helps you. Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: at&t

The issue isn't that I dislike using the touchscreen.  The issue is that the touchscreen becomes overly sensitive and acts on its own when near more RF than just the phone.  This happens all the time at cell sites and within a few hundred feet (sometimes more) of VHF and UHF radio transmission sites.  It can happen with other RF/RFI sources as well.  When the touchscreen is acting on its own, it is very hard to compose e-mail or make a phone call as it keeps 'touching' various parts of the screen.  In order for the phone to be usable in these environments, the touchscreen needs to be able to be disabled.   I am not accidentally touching the screen, it is acting on its own, hypersensitive. 

Highlighted
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Yes, I actually understood your situation from your initial post.  As stated, disabling it completely while leaving the trackpad useful is not possible; you have to disable the entire phone by locking it or just use the trackpad (which is no good to you because your touchscreen will still get "used" by the surrounding frequencies).

Using one of my two suggestions or getting a phone that uses a physical keyboard are the only two solutions to your issue.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.