Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Super Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: O2
Accepted Solution

Disappearing Emails

I use my BB for Hotmail and some personal email accounts.

The person email accounts download the email to my BB, and then I can reply.

But for some reason, after a short time (few hours or so), any emails I had and kept, have gone.

Why is this?  Does IMAP check the web server and if they aren't there anymore either, it just clears them and 'syncs' it with my BB??

How do I stop that from happening, so I keep emails on my phone whether or not they are gone from the web server?

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Disappearing Emails

Are you deleting those email messages from the web server?

Open your Messages folder > Menu key > Options > Email Reconciliation > Turn off Wireless Reconcile on the account(s) affected.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Super Contributor

If I do that, I am out in the day and get emails on my device, and I want to delete some of them, will your solution stop them being deleted on the web server?

Yep.

But you didn't answer my question Smiley Wink

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Super Contributor

I apologise - I thought your second part would have answered that.

If I am at home, my laptop downloads the emails from that web server, so in effect, they are disappearing from it.

I want to be able to keep them on my phone, but also delete them from the phone and if I am out, that deletion, removes them from the server too (when my laptop isn't on and taking them itself), if that makes sense?

I suspect the answer is: turn Reconcile Off when you are not bothered about deleting them on the phone, such as if you pop out.  But turn it On when you are out all day and the laptop isn't checking for emails.

Unless there is another way?

Ok, I thing we're getting more information now:

simon_a6 wrote:

If I am at home, my laptop downloads the emails from that web server, so in effect, they are disappearing from it.

Downloads... to? Outlook?

In Outlook, find the settings in your email account setup which governs "Leave Messages on Server". See more below.

Then, you can LEAVE ON the on-device Wireless Reconcile setting mentioned in the post above, delete from the handheld and server as you prefer. AND, have the remaining emails to download to Outlook.

IF you are using Outlook to download your email to your desktop PC, Outlook is likely "deleting" mail from your email server when it downloads it to your PC.

There is a setting in Outlook to "Leave Messages on Server".

For MS Outlook 2003:
1. Outlook > Tools > Email accounts > View or Change existing > next.
2. Highlight the email account > Change > More Settings.
3. Advanced Tab > Leave a Copy Messages on Server
4. Check that box.

* You will need to perform this edit for each Outlook email account you have.

Other versions of Outlook have a similar setting although it might located in a slightly different location in the :advanced settings.

Knowledge Base Updates
Super Contributor

Yep, that is all understood.

So if I get an email while out and I delete it from the BB, it will delete it from the server and when i get back to the laptop, if for example I had deleted ALL emails (they maybe spam!), the laptop would therefore have NO emails to download.

Or if I'd had 5 from a family member, and 4 were replies.... I could delete the previous 4, keep the top one, and when I am home, only that last one will download to my laptop???

I use Windows Mail.  On W7.

Yes... sort of yes.

Make your settings on the PC as described above, they will be different for Windows Mail, here is a link that will tell you how in Windows Mail. 

KB12283 How to leave or remove copies of email messages on the messaging server

Keep the wireless reconcile setting ON on the device.

Now, ALSO while you are on that Email Reconciliation screen, check the "Delete On" box... You can set that in one of three ways.

• Handheld
  • Handheld and Server
  • Prompt

Decide which best fits you. Deleting on Handheld only will never delete from the server. The second is obvious, and the third choice allows you to decide with EACH email you delete on the BlackBerry.

Does this help?

Knowledge Base Updates
Super Contributor

Brilliant - yes thanks.

Cool... if one of the post above resolved this for you, please be certain to mark which one... helps future uses find solutions in the search metrics.

Knowledge Base Updates