Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Disappointed! Hope my post is NOT Deleted as ONLY POSITIVE FEEDBACK allowed?

therayban wrote:

Thank you and again, I am not trying to be argumentative.  I just want some honest answers and not assumptions, guesses and anger for just stating the FACTS about the BOLD.  

I'm sorry, but I've read and re-read your post and can only come to the conclusion that most of your post is exactly what you are railing here against...assumptions, guesses and (a little bit of) anger. You have assumed that your presumed answer to the question would not violate the TOS...I would ask -- how can you possibly know that without first knowing the answer? You nor I can possibly hope to know what secrets, proprietary information, or security concerns would arise from a formal answer to your question.

The Tour indeed has more AppMemory -- at the hardware level, that is what it has. RIM has been learning, just as all hardware manufacturers, that there is only one answer to the question of "how much memory is needed?" -- that answer is "more". But, unless they abandon a component of their core architecture (three memory spaces, app memory being fixed and untouchable), there simply is nothing that is going to change the available app memory on existing devices. And even then (if they indeed abandoned it), I'd think that they would need to swap out those devices so as to overcome the hardware-level aspect of the division of memory. As a for-profit firm, I would be hard pressed to imagine they could retain that status by going down a hardware swap-out path for their entire user base. (And then, as always, there are the carriers to consider -- they are truly in the drivers seat!)

But yes...all of my information is likewise assumptive -- but guess what, lacking a response from RIM, there is no way to know! And, if the answer is indeed what I suspect, then RIM simply cannot answer the question as that would violate the TOS, their security arrangements, or other things about which we simply cannot know. So, we could I suppose similarly conclude that if your presumed answer were correct, that they would indeed answer (since there would be no violations). So, lacking an answer from them, which way are we to believe? Frankly, it doesn't really matter. We cannot hope to change things under the venue of this support forum that are outside of its purview.

You've asked for a response from RIM. But you've asked for that in a forum that is decidedly not RIM...as stated at the tops of these forums, this is a user-to-user support channel...not a user-to-RIM channel. As such, the folks who are here to help out are here to help out with what is...and we try to steer clear of what should be, what will be, or what might be. And what is -- is that AppMemory is fixed and untouchable on each device. So it becomes a matter of trying to figure out how to work within that boundary (rather than insisting on changing the boundary).

Please understand -- I'm not trying to negate the issue -- it is real. I run QuickPull on my Storm every night and it still runs at the ragged edge of AppMemory each day. But, I am comfortable in the knowledge that, while not perfect, in many ways it is a "better" (that's my judgment, hence cannot really be challenged) device than those that came before it -- and those that come after it shall be even better still (as is the Tour in this regard). That is the way of the hardware development world. I also know (yes, for sure) that this issue is quite well appreciated inside of RIM and that they actively work toward resolving it in many ways -- just like all hardware manufacturers do with issues. But, I also will not take to insisting that they abandon their core architectural constructs...that is a decision that they, as a business, must make. And I believe that they have the information they need in order to make such a decision -- but I also believe we shall not know the answer in advance...as that, too, is the way of proprietary hardware development and release.

Best.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Disappointed! Hope my post is NOT Deleted as ONLY POSITIVE FEEDBACK allowed?

I sincerely appreciate your note, but RIM does read this forum and others.  I do not expect them to answer me here, but I do feel RIM could address this issue on their support page.  I would love to call them and talk about it, but RIM wants you to pay them to talk with them.  Not addressing this issue is NOT good customer service.  Corporate America forgets about their customers and poor customer service is a real problem these days.  A company wonders why their are failing all the sudden and many times it's because of their arrogance toward their customer.  We ARE their bread and butter!!

I follow a number BlackBerry customer feedback RSS feeds daily and this issue comes up by RIM customers daily.  Again, we buy their products in good faith and you would hope and to be honest, I expect them to answer issues like this.  Everyone should demand that from companies that we purchase products from.   

It is not an violation of TOS to give support and answer questions concerning the current product that we purchased.  To them RIM a pass on not giving us an answer is not good enough and there is no excuse. 

I really do not think I am angry and instead, I believe it is frustration.  You cannot talk with RIM and they know this is a BIG issue with their current BOLD owners.  However, they have chosen not to address this.  

Again, I would like to know if there is a way to reallocate the memory on the Bold 9000.  

RIM should answer this question.

Thank you again!

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: Telus

if you hve not noticed, previous BBs before the Bold only had 64mb of RAM, it was enough for the time, but is lacking now. The 8350i was the first one to get a boost up to 96. then the bold cam next with 128, only this time they allocated an extra gig aside for storage(maybe the should have done it the other way around, or split it down the middle... maybe, im sure they had their reasons) ... still not enough you say, each BB since the bold... including the Tour(yes cause its newer) have been bumped to a whopping 256. Some of these newer devices dont get the extra gig either(only one that does is the storm).

I am pretty sure RIM knows what mistakes they have possibly made. And they have addressed that in newer models. There no newer bold version. So maybe if they bring out a newer version of the bold they will have a different memory allocation. cant change whats already done.

I find it hard to believe you didnt investigate the bold before you bought it, the site tells you EXACTLY what memory each BB has. It shows the 128 and the 1G as seperate memory allocations and what they are for. If you didnt do the research you have only 1 person to blame, yourself. Buying a $300 electronic without doing research and taking justa  sales persons opinion, shame on you. And on top of that you buy a $300 electronic without doing research and then go on vaction for over 30 days? seriously? who does that. I buy an electronic, I want to play with it, its the reason I buy it, to test all its functions out, I have to make sure its worthy.

But again, we cant change whats already been done. Guess you will just have to wait for a newer more advanced version and "hopefully" you will do your research on it first. and buy it AFTER you comes home from vacation.

I do remember a time when bill gates once said that no computer will EVER need more than 4kb or RAM... how far off was he? Are you going to blame him for not putting 4G of RAM in the first PC?

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

therayban wrote:

Oh, I hope people will find this thread as well and read it.  There no way around to defend what I wrote in my post.  There is a major flaw with phone

when it come to memory.  The Tour has more memory for mail, apps, OS and etc than the Bold!!!  Rim knows it messed up!  There is a question in

my post for RIM and there is no answer to be found...  can they reallotcate any of the 1GB of memory so there is more room for mail, apps, OS and

etc with future updates of the OS?  Forums across the interent are loaded with questions and complaints about the memory of the Bold.

Thank you and I am sorry that what I am saying offends some because they love their BB so much, but again, it's just the truth!  As they say, the

truth does hurt.

Hi and welcome to the forums!

As your definition of the "memory flaw" will obviously not be resolved fast enough, please try this information to lessen the problem

The programs are available in AppWorld.

Aerize

I don't think you are being offensive at all, you certainly have your right to your opinion.

I love my Blackberry, truths may sting some, but a users perceptions of the truth?

Doesn't even leave a mark!  Smiley Very Happy

Let us know if we can help with any Aerize questions.

Thanks,

Bifocals

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor

drizzt09... my phone died the day before leaving on vacation and I went into the ATT company store and asked a million questions about phones.  I asked about the memory of the Bold 9000 and the salesman told me 1 GB of memory.  I was all smiles and yes, I did not have a chance to investigate the phone on the net.  I never thought that a phone would come with 1 GB memory and you can truly only use 128MB's of that memory for everything other than ringtones, pics and the like.  I get the Bill Gates analogy, but it does not apply here, as this phone is NEW!  Applications, multiple email accounts and MMS messages that all take tons of memory has been around for a long time before this phone was even released. Subsequent, your analogy is wrong in this case. However, if the phone was older it would apply. 

I was told about the new Bold 9700 and here is a quote from the review and again, the memory problem is one of biggest problems with the phone...   

"I wish the Bold 9700 shipped with more Flash memory for application storage than the reported 256MB, but that's still double the Bold 9000's app memory." 

Thank you!

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

[ Edited ]

Great suggestion Bifocals!  Aerize Card Loader can be a great tool.

Part of the reason that BlackBerry smartphones have limited application memory has to do with keeping up the security on these phones (if you could run applications from media cards, etc., it could compromise the security of the device).  Your phone is amongst the most secure smartphones out there.  For many businesses, this is incredibly important.  As a business device, many company BlackBerry's are usually restricted in what apps the company will allow anyhow, so the smaller device memory was perfectly acceptable.

However, as more and more consumers start using BlackBerry devices, RIM is faced with a new challenge.  And hence, new devices are coming with more memory.

It really is not fair to compare the memory on the Tour vs. the memory on the Bold as the Tour is a brand new model while the Bold is already a couple of years old.  All of this said, yes, your comments are valid, and this is one of the main beefs that a lot of users have.  I came from a Windows Mobile 2003 PDA where I had no problems storing and running applications from my media card, however, when I purchased my BlackBerry Storm (same memory as the Bold), I did my research in advance and was aware of the limitations and I was ready to deal with it.

Unfortunately, the one flaw in your argument is that all of this could have been avoided if you had done your research before purchasing the phone (and that doesn't mean trusting everything the sales person says).  And unfortunately, most shopper's regrets when buying anything is that they didn't do their research.  In the future, I'd strongly suggest always finding out all of the strengths and weaknesses of your technology purchases so that you don't end up getting something you didn't want.

I'm sorry I don't have a more positive response, but...

EDIT: after reading your response about timing, it really is unfortunate.  And I really do wish that employees working for the carriers had a better clue about what they were selling.  Ultimately, it was AT&T that dropped the ball for you, and for that, I am sorry. 
Message Edited by Krypto on 09-01-2009 02:01 PM

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor

Bifocals, thank you for the reply and you gave me a big smile!  I will checkout the app on app world right now!

Thank you so much!

Ray

Developer

Krypto wrote:
Part of the reason that BlackBerry smartphones have limited application memory has to do with keeping up the security on these phones (if you could run applications from media cards, etc., it could compromise the security of the device).  Your phone is amongst the most secure smartphones out there.  For many businesses, this is incredibly important.  As a business device, many company BlackBerry's are usually restricted in what apps the company will allow anyhow, so the smaller device memory was perfectly acceptable.

The answer to the "security" issue seems pretty easy:  A simple flag in the OS to allow, or disable applications to run from the media card.  This flag, controlled by a setting in the Options menu, could even be password protected to stop employees from changing it themselves. Short of re-flashing the BB with another, hacked, OS, there'd be no way around this, and if the user is able to hack the OS, then they're already able to do pretty much whatever they want with their "secure" BB anyway, so the problem would be moot.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

iPhone has 128 meg ram and a different partition for the 8 gig side of it.

Many when they buy it think its and 8 gig device until they install too many apps.

Their memory issues are even worse for some iphone users.

I wish they would stop complaining about the memory issues and remove the apps that cause it.

I wish mafia wars would not use all avail memory in my PC.

this has plauged me for a while now.

where am I now?

Oh Kansas, Hi Toto.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Highlighted
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

therayban wrote:

Just checking back to see if anyone posted some answers to if there is a way to increase the memory on my Bold from that wasted 800+ MB's that are not being used. Heck, they should of used the full GIG for applications, operating systems, mail and etc. Memory cards are so cheap and perfect for saying music, photos and videos on. 

I do not believe it would be a violation of TOS to address this problem with their customers.  We are NOT asking for any BIG secrets here, we are asking to make our product which we purchased in good faith to work as good as the CHEAPER Tour they released with 256MB's of memory allocated for OS, Applications and etc.  As with any business, the customer should always be considered when they are crying out for help!  After-all, the customer is the one that is paying premium price for their products.  

When the salesman at ATT told me it has 1 GB of memory I was so excited and I left the next day on vacation. When I returned about a month later and really started using my Bold I quickly found out the ugly truth, that they put a extremely small partition for apps, os and etc. on the phone.  

Giving the phone more memory does not make it like a Windows phone, it has nothing to do with comparison with WM.  Just means that RIM messed up and they are being quit on if there is a way to reallocate the memory.  

I am still hoping for REAL ANSWERS to a REAL PROBLEM.  

PLEASE HELP RIM!!!

Thank you and again, I am not trying to be argumentative.  I just want some honest answers and not assumptions, guesses and anger for just stating the FACTS about the BOLD.  

Thank you again!!

Hi Therayban!

I want to be very clear up front that I am a user just like you, I have no affiliation to RIM at all other than I bought the product.

As you have so far kept your comments civil and with out vitriol toward the others in the thread, I doubt your thread

will be deleted. 

You can write back every day, and I promise you there won't be any magic answer waiting. It's a production device with a

successful track record from both the industry and RIM's perspective.

I understand that you and others may not agree with the last statement, I understand your frustration.

You have seven posts invested in this forums, and a lot more in a device you are obviously not pleased with.

I suggest we figure out where to go from here, based on my experience I see three options to choose.

1) Open a thread in the Bold 9000 forum. As specifically as possible tell us exactly what problems if any your device has.

You tell us what it doesn't do, doesn't do well and what it does satisfactorily, and what it needs to do to "earn it's keep.

We can review that with you, tell you what is and isn't possible, based on our experience and the Rim knowledgebase.

If we come up with something that will satisfy you then work with us, calmly and logically to help you get the optimum performance from the device. You'll need to put some time into reading and researching, which we will match every step of the way.

2) You keep posting your opinions about RIM and the design deficiencies you want addressed. Others have done so.

They eventually realize that they aren't getting anywhere, not gaining any momentum from other users, and just fade away.

Still dissatisfied and miserable with their phone.

3) You pay the carrier's fee, break the contract early and get any brand device that suits your needs better. Life is too short.

I offer one piece of advice, purely intended to help. Read, research, join forums, know going in that the salesman is at best 

generally knowledgeable about multiple devices. Certainly not qualified to explain design specs about how a device uses

the 1 GB of memory.

I hope you elect to work with us on the forum, and make the best of it.

Whatever your decision, I wish you the best.

Thanks,

Bifocals 

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter