Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: BlackBerry 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Do not install BB Desktop on Windows XP.

The BlackBerry Desktop software (current version 501) is of no use and have cost me and many colleagues so much time and nerves that I have asked the shop where I have bought the BlackBerry 9700 (which is of good use) to warn other customers to install this.

In detail:

Bugs:

- Windows XP startup is delayed up to 100% (6 min instead of 3, measured several times)

- TT fonts stop to work properly (i.e. Times New Roman Bold) - you can't read them anymore!

Regarding these two problems - they vanish as soon as the program is de-installed.

User unfriendliness:

- During installation, one have to chose between individual or enterprise email - I don't want this program to mess with my email at all!

- The program sometimes needs several minutes before it can be used (perhaps due to unwanted searches for connection, see above).

- Installation/Deinstallation of BB SW (alx):

+ Installed SW is listed - but cannot be de-installed (button is deactivated, last example: Langenscheidt dictionary demo)

+ During an installation process, each and every step is started with the password request (I stopped counting after the 3rd time).

Question: Did BB EVER test this?

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Do not install BB Desktop on Windows XP.

Which version of Desktop Manager software did you install?

My experience with the delayed XP startup has led to it being Roxio Media Creator. If I installed it on my computer, I've had to take it out of "msconfig" to allow startup to be "normal". If I don't install the media creator on the computer, it starts up as usual.