Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810 OS 7
My Carrier: AT&T

Document Viewing/Management Software

I must have access and use of certain files on my Curve. Any recommendations for document management software that will allow viewing and (possibly) creating/editing Excel, Word, PowerPoint, pdf files? Before you answer, please read this entire message. Money is not the issue. Functionality and support is.

1. Please do not recomend Documents to Go (although it is what I want). I have an AT&T Curve with OS4.2. Documents to Go requires OS4.5. AT&T refuses to release OS4.5. [Sure, it appears as though I could download OS4.5 from other sites and delete some the vendor.xml file, but then I wouldn't have support from AT&T if needed.)

2. Please do not recommend eOffice. I have it. It stinks. You call for support and they say "Read the Manual". I have. The program "locks up" when launched forcing me to reboot the Curve EVERY time. That is not covered in the Manual. Given the fact that eOffice's PR firm acknowledges that the software is buggy, I'm concerned that it won't be around long.

Thanks.

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Document Viewing/Management Software

**Disclaimer: I read your entire message.

KGlennCole wrote:
[Sure, it appears as though I could download OS4.5 from other sites and delete some the vendor.xml file, but then I wouldn't have support from AT&T if needed.)

The bolded portion of that is untrue. ATT will support your product, they just don't yet support OS 4.5. Just last night ATT released (finally) OS 4.5 for the 8820 and 8320, other model OS 4.5 releases are not far behind, though with ATT's record it could be another month. But I think it will be quicker.

That said, there is NO harm in upgrading now. Other carriers' releases of OS 4.5 is identical, relesaed by RIM, blah blah you've probably read all that before.

Those two products are your two choices. In my opinion, DocsToGo is the best on all counts, even the free version is darn good. The premium version for only $69 USD is a great, with the PDF reader.

With your requirements and/or , you have limited yourself to no choice.

If you need further assistance, please post back.
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810 OS 7
My Carrier: AT&T

I agree with your opinion on Docs to Go. I had it on my Palm Treo before it died and I purchased my Curve.

My main concern with downloading and installing OS4.5 is that if I have a problem with my Curve that requires any support from AT&T then I'll be screwed. May not happen, but.... can I take that risk? I'm very hesitant, especially since some of the sites that have OS4.5 are foreign.. who knows whether the software being offered is 100% authentic?

Thanks.

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

KGlennCole wrote:

I agree with your opinion on Docs to Go. I had it on my Palm Treo before it died and I purchased my Curve.

My main concern with downloading and installing OS4.5 is that if I have a problem with my Curve that requires any support from AT&T then I'll be screwed. May not happen, but.... can I take that risk? I'm very hesitant, especially since some of the sites that have OS4.5 are foreign.. who knows whether the software being offered is 100% authentic?

Thanks.

Again, ALL of the carriers release the software from RIM. As long as you are downloading from a carrier link (and 90% of them are RIM servers; some like Verizon run their own download servers) you will be getting 100% authentic. If you go downloading from some illegal and rogue rapidshare link, I don't know what you will get. I don't point people to those links, but to authentic RIM and carrier downloads. I don't recommend to be people to download and install BETA OSs either, only those released by carriers.

You decide, I am not trying to sway you, but rather to dispel the false information you have in your head.

Will you have an issue upgrading to another carrier's release? Likely not, if you can follow written instructions exactly as written and in order as written. Do a complete backup first of your BB, sync to Outlook if you do, and proceed.

If you then have an issue, you have a complete backup of your data, you can revert to your 4.2 release.

What model to you have? 

8300?  http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8300-series-discussion-curve/151848-latest-os-8300-v4-5-0-10...

8310?  http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8300-series-discussion-curve/159564-latest-os-8310-4-5-0-134...

Read and learn. Good luck.

Message Edited by JSanders on 12-10-2008 06:03 PM
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
My Device: Not Specified

ived updated my software but i cant access my email accounts, i have forgotten my user name and password