Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Does anyone's Storm freeze

I just got my Storm last week from VZW. This is my first BB device. I came from a Moto Q. I have a pretty good working knowledge of computers in general. So far I really like the storm. I was due for my upgrade and the choice was between the Storm or the Curve.

My only issue is the freezing or locking up. neilio hit my problem dead center. I'm glad I'm not the only one having this issue. So far I'm not adding applications other than what VZW offers. Hopefully that will keep it to a minimum. Right now I'm doing a reboot about every other day or so.

The recent update didn't help the issue at all. I'm still hanging on to my Storm and confident that RIM will sort this out.

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm

mine froze a few times, and spontaneously rebooted.  I noticed it after downloading from a link on a local news website to create an icon for their news website on my blackberry. The install never seemed to do anything and nothing ever really showed up in my Storm.  However, when I looked at downloaded programs in the Blackberry Desktop Manager, it showed it was installed.  So, I uninstalled it from the BDM, which showed a successful uninstall.  The problems seemed to diminish.  Then after .75 update, all problems, including a slow switch from portrait mode to landscape mode went away completely.  I'm simply suggesting that perhaps something got loaded on there.  You  might consider looking in the BDM at loaded programs and see if uninstalling any new program might resolve the freezing issue.  Hope this helps, KenSmiley Happy
Contributor
My Device: 9530 Storm

All:

Just found this post over on CrackBerry.

I had this exact thing just happen to me.  I'm running 4.7.0.90, so apparently some are picking up on the fact that it may be the BBM that's causing this to happen.  Any others experience similar occurrences?

Contributor
My Device: 9530 Storm

[ Edited ]
And here is another link.  Seems people are starting to pick up on the cause.
Message Edited by dal553 on 02-04-2009 12:59 PM
Highlighted
New Contributor

Omg... yes, I've had it freeze a few times in a day even.  Many times when unlocking it just sits there with the hourglass, especially if I just got a text/e-mail.

Umm what else it borked.. well sometimes when I'm typing there's that option when you hold onto a letter in "qwerty" mode and it shows you other options for the char, like ƒ instead of F, it goes to my CAMERA!?  The weird part is that it's still in the message mode, so if I click the blackberry button twice (which is the "send" command) it will send it!  The only way to break the camera mode is to tap buttons on the screen (that are hidden) and it'll come back.

Here's my least favorite part, and this is what just happened the other day and again today.  I don't record much on the video camera, but when I do it's usually pretty important stuff.  My fraternity had elections last week, and my phone froze, it came back to life towards the end, and I recorded the last half of the election, but for some reason the video file was corrupted or something, it just says invalid format?  HUH?

Second time was today, I got to see Lance Armstrong and Levi Leiphemer, I must have been within a few feet of them, sure enough the videos were right after my phone crashed, and none of them work.  I'm currently trying to copy them off of the camera with the USB, but it keeps saying there are errors.  DUH, but honestly, you can still copy bytes, so just do it, and I'll repair it with VLC,!!!

Unrelated dislikes:

1. When I e-mail from my computer it e-mails me, I have no clue how to disable this. 
  2. It can't sync with my google calendar despite the fact that it gets my e-mail and knows my account info, the option is grayed out.
  3. The screen covers are $10 and they only last a week each, even if they are put on perfectly!
  4. Sometimes the phone doesn't know when I've tipped it, despite the OS reacting to it my e-mail and texts will not "turn".
  5. ITS WAY TOO SLOW. My friend and I were comparing slideshows of images, he had an iPhone, and while his gracefully flew across the screen with nill load time, my blackberry lagged like crazy, and then eventually froze or something.
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Here's a big suggestion... go to leaked OS version .103.  My freezes have completely stopped.  Supposedly .90 had a lot of issues and I had the same problem with .99.  .103 is great.

isunktheship wrote:
  1. When I e-mail from my computer it e-mails me, I have no clue how to disable this.
  2. It can't sync with my google calendar despite the fact that it gets my e-mail and knows my account info, the option is grayed out.
  3. The screen covers are $10 and they only last a week each, even if they are put on perfectly!
  4. Sometimes the phone doesn't know when I've tipped it, despite the OS reacting to it my e-mail and texts will not "turn".
  5. ITS WAY TOO SLOW. My friend and I were comparing slideshows of images, he had an iPhone, and while his gracefully flew across the screen with nill load time, my blackberry lagged like crazy, and then eventually froze or something.

I can't address the first or second one, but I know I've seen it around here.  Are you using Google Sync?

3. For the screen covers, stop using those, they're horrible.  Check into the Invisible Shield.  If you're in the US, you can find them at Best Buy or you can get them directly from their website.  Trust me, they're incredibly durable - I have them on nearly all my electronics devices.

4. If you upgrade to the latest leaked OS (version 4.7.0.103 - Google it and you'll find it), you'll notice that you don't have to deal with this problem anymore.

5. Again, this is a software issue.  If you try the version I listed, you'll notice it's much faster and smoother. 

If you prefer to wait, there'll hopefully be another official release in a month to two months.

I hope this helps, and seriously suggest trying it.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor

Hey thanks so much!

Krypto wrote:

Here's a big suggestion... go to leaked OS version .103.  My freezes have completely stopped.  Supposedly .90 had a lot of issues and I had the same problem with .99.  .103 is great.

I can't address the first or second one, but I know I've seen it around here.  Are you using Google Sync?

3. For the screen covers, stop using those, they're horrible.  Check into the Invisible Shield.  If you're in the US, you can find them at Best Buy or you can get them directly from their website.  Trust me, they're incredibly durable - I have them on nearly all my electronics devices.

4. If you upgrade to the latest leaked OS (version 4.7.0.103 - Google it and you'll find it), you'll notice that you don't have to deal with this problem anymore.

5. Again, this is a software issue.  If you try the version I listed, you'll notice it's much faster and smoother. 

If you prefer to wait, there'll hopefully be another official release in a month to two months.

I hope this helps, and seriously suggest trying it.

Okay so in response:

I'll be looking into the syncing thing more, the girl at the counter set up my e-mail without me asking her... I'll probably follow up with that when I'm there, I found a dead pixel :X

3. That looks AWESOME, how long do they last?  If they get air bubbles is that the end of the cover?  I have a hard plastic shell already, will they fit under that?  I'm going to return my screen covers, basically ask for my money back, because they blow... oh verizon... I might even return the cover and get the silicone one.  What's your preference on that?

4/5. Awesome Imma check that out!

Thanks so much!

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

isunktheship wrote:

Hey thanks so much!

Okay so in response:

I'll be looking into the syncing thing more, the girl at the counter set up my e-mail without me asking her... I'll probably follow up with that when I'm there, I found a dead pixel :X

3. That looks AWESOME, how long do they last?  If they get air bubbles is that the end of the cover?  I have a hard plastic shell already, will they fit under that?  I'm going to return my screen covers, basically ask for my money back, because they blow... oh verizon... I might even return the cover and get the silicone one.  What's your preference on that?

4/5. Awesome Imma check that out!

Thanks so much!

No problem!  The shields last a very long time (I've only had them for around a year, but the worse that has happened is that they've lifted on the corner of my Samsung mp3).  I had a full body one on my old RAZR and it was constantly in and out of my purse, my pocket, falling on the ground, and no scratches.  The only time anything showed up was one time that I dropped the phone and an unprotected corner hit the ground.  On the Storm, I'd recommend getting the full body protection.  If you use the Sync dock though, don't cover the back as it'll stick to the dock (and is thus a pain to get in and out).  In this case, just do the front portions (the screen, keys and the top and bottom part).  This will protect from getting scratches on the plastic part too.  It'll fit in the case with the protector on, but if you choose to scrap the case, the full body protection will leave you covered (just avoid dropping it hard as the screen still can break).  You won't even need the silicone cover in that case (why cover such a nice looking piece of hardware).

As to bubbles and trapped dust, here are some tricks for installation.  First, make sure the area you'll be working in is dust free.  Grab a Swiffer cloth or something to wipe it down.  Next wash your hands and dry them with a lint free cloth.  Use plenty of the solution, and don't forget to do your fingertips (don't want fingerprints showing up underneath).  Don't apply the spray to the device, only the shield.  Keep a lint free cloth handy to catch excess solution.  When you place the shield on the device, start on one side and lower it into position from one side to the other.  This should reduce the presence of any air bubbles.  If you do see air bubbles, use the squeegy to move them out.  Use the cloth to catch the solution to prevent any of it from going into the phone.  If you apply the shield to the back, pull off the battery cover and apply the shield to the cover while its off the phone (this will ensure you don't get any solution in the battery compartment (very bad for warranty purposes)).

Feel free to let me know if you've got any other questions.  And I hope you find that OS version as useful as I did!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

isunktheship wrote:

Hi! I didn't see this one addressed...if you are using GMail via BIS, check this link for a description of the problem along with the fix...

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB10332&sliceId=SAL_Pub...

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................