Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Does/when will BlackBerry support 3G video calling?

Hi,

I'm considering becoming a BlackBerry user but the one thing stopping me is the lack of support for video calling on 3G networks.  This is not video over a data connection, but video (h263/h264) in the circuit itself.  In it's basic form it is used to make video calls between mobile devices, but also for making calls to video enabled IVR systems.

Practically all other 3G capable devices support this capability, but so far I'm led to believe that BlackBerry does not.  Statistics show that 3G video capable devices outsell BB and iPhone by 5:1.

Can anyone please tell me if BlackBerry supports this capability?  And if not, is there a plan for making it available?

Many thanks.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry 9630 (Tour)

Re: Does/when will BlackBerry support 3G video calling?

Hmm....I believe video calling is something that has to be implimented at the service provider's network level. I would imagine that RIM develops the phone off of a service provider's specs, so the day that Sprint or Verizon impliments video calling capabilities on the network, the BlackBerry supporting that would not be far behind.

Then again, I'm just speculating and half-guessing some of this, take this with a grain of salt.

If someone does get video calling, sign me up! (Or at least put my email down on a newsletter!) 

"If it ain't broke, shoot it with a .44 until it is. Then get it replaced."
New Contributor

Hi,

You've hit a good point there - 3G video calling is not currently supported in North American networks, well, I think Rogers is the exception.  But all mobile networks in Europe support it, as well as the networks in Middle East and parts of Asia. I can use my Nokia N95 in any country in Europe to make a 3G video call without any bother.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Rogers BB 8800 (Still kicking)

Hi,

No Blackberry supports Video Calling as of yet. Maybe in the future but I do not think RIM will ruch to get the feature added and the double camera. Here are all other video phones sold by Rogers:

http://www.rogers.com/web/link/wirelessBuyFlow?forwardTo=PhoneThenPlan&productType=normal&N=52+11+42...

Peace,

BBTechSupport 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to CLICK that BLACK or GRAY Kudos square if some one was helpful.
Also please mark it as a solution if your problem is solved.

Don't know why blackberry cannot  or unable to include video call function in the phone.  Is it due to the capability of RIM ?? Try to see other phone maker. Even with the low entrane level phones were come with the video function.  RIM ??

My Device: 8900
My Carrier: three

I saw a movie which is a chinese movie made in hongkong. And all the actress and actor are using  9700. And the movie they are making a call to another party, and during that called, the other party are showing live video from their back camera.. I mean a real live video.. So.. I'm wondering.. If that feature could possibly apply to my new  9700???

I had try it.. But it won't work.. N there is no sign of any video call is allowed although I could read from above statements are definitely not allowing even a 3G band could make any video call..

Is anybody here could help me with my confusion here? At least an explanation of why a smart phone like  not given us a 3G video call, even from a rear camera will do the job to satisfied user. Thanks for reading my complain n answering it would b more appreciation for me.
My Device: 9780
My Carrier: Fido

watched the same movie "Don't go breaking my heart", and that's what led me to this forum, and ur msg.

god i wish i can do video calling.