Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Don't buy a Blackberry

If you are on this site you probably already own a Blackberry but in the rare chance you don't, please read below. 

Never in 7 years have I had any water damage to a phone until I got a Blackberry Curve. This is the most moisture-sensitive phone I've heard of. I haven't even had this phone for a one year yet and not a single button will work. I never dropped it in water, I never took it into the shower, but my phone is dead because of the humidity in my pocket. It sounds ridiculous, I know.

It has happened twice now. The first time I had the phone in my pocket while working in the yard. When I came back inside every button I pushed was linked to a different key. I would press the talk key and my phone would spell "N". I would push the track ball and my phone would spell "Q". I was able to get my phone working after the first time by putting my phone in rice for a couple of days. The second time I had the phone in my pocket while at a wedding reception. The second time my Curve would display but I couldn't get a single button to work. My phone would ring and I could see who was calling but I couldn't press a button to answer the call. Text messages would arrive but I couldn't read them because nothing worked to click on "Messages".

Sprint won't do anything because the litmus paper in the phone turned pink. They showed me the paper which is directly behind the trackball. I asked them to look for corrosion or anything that might be caused by liquid water and they couldn't find anything. The repair person said when the paper turns pink it will make the keys stop working. Sprint wouldn't do anything because the paper was pink and from then on all they would say is, "Sorry this phone is water damaged." 

I can't even ask Blackberry for a replacement without having to pay for a service call. (This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard of!)

My advice is to buy something different as my only experience lasted less than one year. 

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Don't buy a Blackberry

Hi,

I have a Curve and a Storm, the Curve for a year, the Storm since December.

I spend most weekends in a bass boat with one device or another.

I've been caught in some pretty good storms as well. Never had a problem with either device.

I did have two Motorola Startacs back to back that got moisture in them, and neither one ever went in the boat.

See if your home owner's insurance covers the replacement price of the device most policies do.

I understand your frustration. If you decide on another Blackberry we will help you which ever way we can.

If you decide on another model, best of luck.

Bifocals

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

What do they say, "Moisture Happens!!"

Did you have insurance on the device from your carrier? 

And your homeowners insurance policy will often cover small electronics such as a mobile phone or BlackBerry. I know a couple of people who have used this route for replacement devices.

good luck.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thanks for the replies. I'll check on the homeowners policy. That's a pretty good idea.

I would try a Blackberry again because when it worked I liked it but I certainly won't take the chance paying that much for a phone I'm not sold on without any help from Blackberry or Sprint.

Contributor
My Device: Bold

Sorry to hear of the problems you had, I didn't know they has litmus paper inside!!

You said "I would try a Blackberry again because when it worked I liked it"

so perhaps you should change the subject header from Don't buy a Blackberry to moisture problems with Blackberry.

Good luck with claiming on contents insurance (get a Bold)

A proud Bold owner.
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Might want to look at some of the protecters/skins that are available now.

They could help with blocking moisture more.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8330m

I'm sure that you have had some problems but let me assure you that there are other people out there that have had great luck with this phone and moisture.  One of them is myself....I will post my story below.  Another is a recent story I read where a couple was in a church, mowed over by a tornado.  The guy lost his Blackberry and went back the next day to try and find it.  His friend called his phone and it started ringing.  After searching he found his phone under some mud, picked it up and cleaned it off.  Still working!

Now on to my story.  This past weekend while driving back from vacation I placed my phone in the console pocket of the car.  We stopped at a Wendy's to get food.  I got an extra large Dr Pepper.  The lid wasn't snapped on tight but I didn't notice this until 30 minutes later.  When I found out I got a sinking feeling when remembering that my phone was right below this drink in the next pocket.  I picked up my phone (Curve 8330m) and Dr Pepper poured out from the bottom for a good 30 seconds.  I immediatly pulled the battery and began to sling the rest of the drink out of the phone after taking off the antenna cover.  After letting it sit for an hour I placed the battery back in.  The phone booted up to my suprise.  After booting I got no response from the keys.  Took the battery out for another 45 minutes and then tried again.  it's been working ever since.  This was 4 days ago and it's working fine, no sticky keys, no side effects what-so-ever.

So, either you have really bad luck, or you are really soaking your phone somehow.  Either way, good luck and I hope you get your phone fixed.

Contributor
My Device: Bold

I4get75,

Great story, good luck with your phone, I never was to keen on Dr Pepper! 

A proud Bold owner.
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

[ Edited ]

BoldMagic wrote:

I4get75,

Great story, good luck with your phone, I never was to keen on Dr Pepper! 

Apparently,the Blackberry isn't too keen on DR. Pepper either....that's a really smartphone!

Smiley Very Happy 

Bifocals

Message Edited by Bifocals on 08-08-2009 06:12 AM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor

I love my Blackberry Bold, I have only had it for 6 months and treat it with respect as I do with all my electronic equipment, but the speaker was breaking up the sound so I took it in for repair, to be told it has moisture damage!  This phone has never been close to anything damp except my face, and I am totally confused and dismayed that it could be so sensitive to moisture that is is unrepairable.  I would have thought it would have had to be in contact with actual wetness to have a moisture build up inside, and that it is unrepairable is beyond belief, and of course even though it is under warranty it won't be replaced.

What I want to know is how many other people have had similar problems, and if it is a problem with the phone itself, in which case it is something that needs to be widely reported so in the first instance you can be alerted to the fact, and in the second instance to have insurance against it.

Has anyone had any recourse from RIM in the form of a replacement for this?

Pam