Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Double line spacing from Outlook 2007

Any messages sent from Outlook 2007 to my Bold 9000 are displayed with a double line between paragraphs. The emails are displayed correctly viewed from outlook.

Apparently the reason is that with the Outlook editor, pressing Enter at the end of a paragraph inserts a <br> tag in the HTML. Outlook 2007 uses the <p> tag. Browsers render the <p> tag as double spacing and since many people press Enter twice to add their own white space between paragraphs, the result is a very large space between paragraphs when you read messages in a browser.

The fix: press Shift+Enter instead of Enter. This creates a <br> tag at the end of the line and the browser will render this without extra white space.

The fix works but I dont think I would be able to tell everybody that could be sending me an email to use "shift enter".

This quite an annoyance and RIM should do something about it. Lets face it we have a small display and the last thing we want is to waste it with blank lines.

Has anybody got a sensible solution?

Thanks

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Double line spacing from Outlook 2007

Stvrich,

I don't believe that this is a problem with RIM/Blackberry. I have been using Outlook 2007 for over a year and whenever I get a reply email from anyone (from their computer) with my original email below their response, it always has appeared double spaced. This boggled my mind and I was wondering why it did that. Your insight was very helpful and I'll try that next time I email someone.

This is more of a Microsoft thing and I wonder if they will do anything to correct this problem (a <p> instead of a <br> upon enter) anytime soon.

Thanks again!

Pete