Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9300
My Carrier: Fido
Accepted Solution

Downgrade Blackberry Curve 9300 Software

I downloaded the Blackberry 6 software onto my Blackberry Curve 9300 and I've noticed that my battery drains so easily and it is kind of slow and I feel like it's because my phone doesn't support it very well. Is there any way I can change it back to the Blackberry 5 software? I've found the Blackberry 5 software but I'll click update and it just checks for software updates and tells me there aren't any new ones which is not what I want, and when I searched how to downgrade it gave me steps but I can't find what its telling me to click on my phone Smiley Sad if anyone can help me please let me know!

Solutions: 6,378
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Downgrade Blackberry Curve 9300 Software

1. If you downloaded the OS6 file to your PC, delete the newer OS from your PC by going to Control Panel >Add/Remove Programs. If you simply performed the Wireless Upgrade or the Desktop Manager upgrade, skip to #2.

2. Then download and install the older version of the OS. BlackBerry Operating System Downloads

3. Install the older OS to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
4. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
5. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Ah you're the best! Quick question though, I went to step 2 because I recently got a new lap top so I don't have it on my computer, however I went to my carrier which is Fido but they don't have the curve 9300 because my dad bought the phone separately then added data to my Fido plan. I found my blackberry under Rogers Wireless though but now I have to fill out bunch of information about myself. Just want to make sure that's okay?

Yes, the Rogers version of the OS is fine... it's all RIM software.

The personal information, no big deal. You can usually put just a letter or three in each field except the country and state/province do require actual correct entries.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Okay sweet that's what I figured, also I'm in common files but I can't find the file you want me to delete.Is it necessary to delete it before I install the software to my blackberry? Sorry for all the questions haha Smiley Sad

[ Edited ]

If you are a Vista/Win7 user: In the apploader folder, simply click on "Compatibility files" to see the actual Vendor.xml file. Once you've got that - simply delete the vendor.xml file there (even if you've deleted or think you've deleted it in the folder previously). If you are in the Common Files folder and don't see the "Research in Motion" folder, you likely have not installed the downloaded OS file to your PC.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Ooh yes I found it Smiley Happy One last question hahah, it's telling me that I have applications installed on my phone that are newer than the ones available with the version I'm about to install. I have two choices; one to leave the system applications on the device unchanged - so it will continue to load non-system applications while leaving the ones that are currently on my phone unchanged, or the second choice is to replace the device's applications with the older version provided by the blackberry desktop software - so it will install the older applications. It says the first choice is recommended but I don't know if the new applications will still work when I install the older software.

P.s you're my hero just saying

For now, loading the older OS, I would let the applications downgrade as well.

For instance, you could have installed some app only compatible on OS6.

Also, make sure you do a backup of your device using the Desktop Software first. Then you can reinstall all contacts, calendar, etc., should there be any problems along the way. Then proceed with the downgrade per the above instrucitons.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

haha wow it said there was a fatal error and that it wasn't completed but it did get installed onto my blackberry! thank you so much Smiley Very Happy

You are very welcome.

Good luck.

Knowledge Base Updates