11-30-2012 01:44 PM
I have a Bold 9700 that I recently upgraded from os5 to os6. I lost my address book (I'm sure that's gone), all of my add-on apps (I'm sure they're gone too), the only way I can access the files on my memory card is to hook it up to the pc. but the main thing is the WI-FI doesn't work (also meaning appworld won't work either, so I can't get some of my apps back). Is their anyway to switch back to os5?
I don't really like this 'tray' layout either. is that a theme thing?
11-30-2012 01:54 PM
Sounds like the upgrade didn't go smoothly at all. Did you backup your info using the desktop manager before the upgrade? The tray layout isn't a theme, its the OS6 user interface. Sorry you want to downgrade but you have some options. You could wipe the device and start from scratch with OS6 or downgrade to OS5.
Downgrade to OS 5
I'm hoping you'll go for the reload vs the downgrade, but its up to you, I'm sorry the upgrade didn't go as expected.
11-30-2012 02:29 PM
re: downgrading from os6 to os5
I could get used to the tray layout, but can't do without the wifi: I don't have a carrier. Wifi is working just fineon my laptop, so don't think it's the signal.
11-30-2012 02:42 PM
You can still do this without having an carrier. See these steps
12-02-2012 08:08 AM
I never recommend installing OS 6 on a Bold 9700 because of the lack of internal memory required to run the OS.
However, reverting back to OS 5 shouldn't be necessary. If you're happy with the performance of OS 6 on your Bold (minus the Wi-Fi issue, of course), then we should be looking exclusively at getting the Wi-Fi working for you.
Did you try deleting the home Wi-Fi profile under Manage Connections>Wi-Fi Network then adding it again?
If not, do that and report back.
12-02-2012 08:21 AM
12-02-2012 09:21 AM
1. Delete the newer OS from your PC by going to Control Panel >Add/Remove Programs. (If you never physically installed the OS to your PC, skip to step 2.)
2. Then download and install the older version of the OS. BlackBerry Operating System Downloads
3. Install the older OS to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
4. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
5. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.
PIN: C0001B7B4 Display/Scan Bar Code
PIN: C0005A9AA Display/Scan Bar Code
12-03-2012 02:30 PM
Thank-you! Got the file I needed, got the bb down graded, and it's running a lot better (guess the 9700 can run os6, but isn't really meant to). I do have some recovering to do (lost my address book, and no, I didn't have it backed up...), but I'll get through it.
Again, thx for the help!