Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Orange
Accepted Solution

Download Location For Update

Hi,

I have a blakcberry torch that I didn't buy through a network carrier (network) I would like to be able to download the update to my computer to do the install as I work over a mobile broadband connection and don't want to do an automatic update through the website and have it drop the internet connection. 

Can anybody tell me where I can download a non network carrier specific update for my phone as I can only find the ones here http://uk.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp.

I don't want to download a carrier specific update and then finfd my device locked to a psecific network.

Thank you

Super Contributor
My Device: Z10 * Q10 * Z30 * Passport
My Carrier: Telkom Mobile

Re: Download Location For Update

Okay what you need to do is download the software for your current carrier to your PC, then Click Here for a step by step of how to remove the Vendor.xml file thats attached to your Blackberry. I am using a Blackberry on Vodacom whose carrier is UK i think, I followed this process and its working.

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

There are no "non network carrier specific updates".

Loading ANY new operating system to a BlackBerry will NOT reverse the unlocked status of the device, doesn't matter where or what network carrier the OS is released from. Once unlocked, always unlocked, you cannot reverse it. You have nothing to worry about there. Device operating system releases are "released" by specific carriers once they have certified and trained their support techs, but still, you are able to load to any carrier's same model by following the instructions below.

See the link below for the download from AT&T, and follow these simple installation instructions.

Do a backup of your device first, using Desktop Manager > Backup. Close Desktop Manager upon completion.

1. Download the OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.

https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=577BCC914F9E55D5E4E4F82F9F00E7D4

2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

[ Edited ]

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Download the device OS you need. Once you install the package delete the vendor.xml file on your PC. This file is "carrier specific" , once deleted you can install the device OS on your device without being "locked" to a specific carrier.

Thanks,

Bifocals

(looks like I type much slower then everyone else)

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Orange

[ Edited ]

Thank you to the people that have replied I think I am sorted now.  Why Blackberry can't just provide a download without vendor customisation I will never know.

Highlighted
Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

mcslinger wrote:

Thank you to the people that have replied I think I am sorted now.

Very welcome.

mcslinger wrote:

Why Blackberry can't just provide a download without vendor customisation I will never know.

Because RIM/BlackBerry does not sell non-vendored devices, and deleting one file on your PC is pretty easy.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code