Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Storm

Download desktop software before buying phone?

I'm an iPhone user but am getting ready to buy my first BlackBerry...possibly the Storm when it comes out, or some other model if Storm is crazily expensive.  My question is that if I download the Desktop Software 4.3 now, can I begin to input/import contact info and other data on my desktop, then when I actually have the phone I could just synch all this very quickly?  My contact info and other date will come from various sources so this process could get complicated and messy.  Does this make sense, or it it even possible?  I'm an independent consultant so this BlackBerry will be for personal use....no corporate network involvement.  I'm using a Compaq Presario desktop running Vista Home Premium.

Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: Download desktop software before buying phone?

You can input your contact data into Outlook or whatever you're using, then setup the sync options once you get your device. But the sync process would only take place once your BlackBerry is connected to the computer with the mini-usb cable.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
New Contributor

I still have a Palm, and have always used it for the vast majority of my contact info, as well as calendar info and memos with important info, and have used my cell for only the contacts I use on a regular basis.  With my BlackBerry I can get everything into one piece of hardware....like everybody I know has been for years.  I am used to Palm Desktop and was hoping BlackBerry's desktop worked the same way...I could just have all my information in the BlackBerry desktop software on my home computer, and only when I get the Storm (or whatever) push the synch button and have the new phone ready to use.  Maybe that's just a fantasy.  I have Outlook, my iPhone contact list can be backed up there, and I'll need to import the data from Palm...so that's the best way to go?  Again, I know nothing about BlackBerry.  Getting info from Outlook into BlackBerry is a fairly easy process?  My hope was to have everything ready to go in BlackBerry software....data cleaned up and in the format the phone will want.  Hope I'm making sense.
Elite I

[ Edited ]

The Desktop Software doesn't actually store any of the information. You can use if you backup the device data, but that file is saved on your computer. Just think of it as a conduit through which information can be exchange between your email client and your BlackBerry .

Check out tanzim's post here. He have excellent steps on how to synchronize

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=BlackBerryDesktopSoftware&message.id=...

You can use the Switch Device Wizard to import data from a Palm onto a BlackBerry, but both device have to be connected to the computer: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB05459

Let me know if that makes sense or if there's any other questions you have

Message Edited by jmrmb80 on 10-29-2008 01:34 AM
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
New Contributor

Thank you so much....I think I'm beginning to understand the process.  I did misunderstand what the BB desktop software does.  I do have a few more questions now, and certainly will when I get the BB.  I hope it's a Storm because I like the iPhone look and feel and am used to it.  I hope the Storm is released soon (so I can make my decision about it), and hope its cost is not crazy.  I'm about to lose it with ATT and the less than pathetic signal strength around here....and I live only blocks from a "tower."

First question:  The fellow at my local Verizon store told me he could "read" the iPhone's SIM card and quickly transfer my contact info into my new BB.  Any idea if that's correct?

Second question:  You say the BB desktop doesn't store data.  Does that mean I can only see my contact/calendar/memo via the phone, and not on my computer as well....like a "Palm Pilot" and its desktop software?

Third question:  Once I get my BB and all my data is in it, will I be able to add info two ways...either into the phone directly (its keyboard) or through the desktop software...and then push a button to have that info be in both places?

Fourth question:  My Palm device is not a phone, just a plain old Zire 71 with all info both on it and in my computer.  The link you provided me seems to assume my device would be a modern one...a Palm phone.  Can BB import the info from Palm desktop on my computer instead of a phone?

Enough questions for now.  As you can see, with respect to PDAs and connectivity I live in the stone age.  I'm fairly computer literate, just not phone literate.  I'm beginning to think your first advice was best....put contact and calendar info into Outlook now, then synch that into phone when I get it.  Wish there was a BB store in town with a Genius Bar...like Apple!

Elite I

[ Edited ]
  1. I believe that's correct, they have a machine that can transfer the addresses for you.
  2. You can see them on both the device and Outlook.
  3. You add the information into Outlook, or the BlackBerry, and hit the Synchronize button. Once you have the BlackBerry, you can go into the Desktop Manager's Synchronize option and configure the sync to be either one-way or two-way
  4. Not sure about that one. I've never used a Palm so I'm not sure   Smiley Happy
    If not, then is there an export feature in Palm Desktop to export the information to Outlook? If so after it's exported you can you the Desktop Manager to sync the information to the BlackBerry
Message Edited by jmrmb80 on 10-29-2008 03:07 AM
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

My company refuses to support the Blackberry on our Exchange server. How can I use the BB Storm and retrieve my email from our exchange server? 
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

By Support, you mean won't give access to, or they won't support you in setting it up?

This link is a list of things that you might run into:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB02858&sliceId=SAL_Pub...

It's a troubleshooting procedure for when it doesn't work, but if you read it backwards, it tells you HOW

it works! Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Please remember to resolve your thread. Put the check mark in the green box that contained your answer! Thanks
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor

No, I was not clear.....they will not install or support the blackberry server.  Basically they will only support connectivity with those devices that can connect directly to the exchange server like treo(Goodlink), windows mobile.
New Contributor

Does anyone have an answer? I have to be able to connect directly from the phone to the exchange server without using the blackberry server.....are there apps to avoid this?  If I could talk them into activating Imap or POP3, would that be a wise choice on the BB Storm?