Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Downloading Apps to Memory Card? - Blackberry Bold 9700.....

Good Evening,

Again, please take into consideration that this is my first Blackberry device.....

I realize that when I download an app or game to my device; it is automatically stored in the phone's onboard memory as a default.

1.) Is it possible to have the apps downloaded and stored onto the Micro SD Memory Card? I'm asking since I envision myself going a little "app crazy" in dowloading and experimenting. I'm assuming this may not be possible - since the download that "follows" the phone/device and not a card that can be used on another device (ie. licensing issues etc.). If it is possible - do the apps run a little slower? Is there a noticible difference in speed or performance of either the app or phone?

2.) Has anyone used up their device memory and filled it with apps? Is it possible yet? I'm just curious.

Any assistance that you may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Cheers.
Solutions: 6,379
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Downloading Apps to Memory Card? - Blackberry Bold 9700.....

1. No. There are ways using apps like "Aerize Card Loader" to store UNinstalled apps on your Media Card and have them load as you need them.

2. Yes. Previous devcies with less memory often were filled with apps and ran low on application memory. That is more limited on the newer devices like the 9700 as you will get a warning if the Application memory space gets too low.

I would not recommend allowing less than 25-30mb of free app memory on your 9700.

Good luck, Greetings, and welcome to the BlackBerry.com Support Forums.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: 9700 Bold 2
My Carrier: AT&T

I have a 9700 Bold as well, I have used Card Loader in the past with old devices, but I have been told by Aerize support that it will not work with OS 5.0. Do you have any other aps that work the same way you might suggest? I loved this with my older Bold and was so disapointed to know that at this time it was unable to work with my device.

From thier support team email:

Subject: Re: Card loader

Sorry, there's a problem with the 5.0 OS that prevents Card Loader from being able to work. If you'd like to follow our twitter

(

http://twitter.com/aerize/) we can keep you notified of any updates.

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

Though, you can archive the app to your MicroSD card.

In AppWorld, under the list of your apps, click menu then archive. However, your phone may need to do a reboot fo finish the archiving which is time consuming. As well, when an app is archived, it can't be used.

I also got a Bold 9700 just a few days ago. My biggest (and probably sole) issue is the small on-board memory.

My Device: 9700
My Carrier: phone