Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

Downloading Music - What to do about DRM protected music???

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. Just purchased a new Blackberry Curve not too long ago and have been having a really hard time trying to get music onto it. My old phone was capatible with Verizon V-Cast and it was so easy to download music onto my storage card on my phone. When I purchased this Blackberry the Verizon guy gave me incorrect information by saying that I could play thses same songs on my new phone. Then I was told I could download from ITunes which I tried (well, that was wrong). Then I found Pure Tracks. Since I had already purchased all the same songs twice now, I was cautious this time and only paid for two songs as a test. All seemed to go well, so today I purchased another 21 and tried to get them on my phone and it turns out that all 21 of them are DRM protected and, SO, I now have paid to download 24 of the same songs on my computer THREE times and yet I STILL can't get any of them on my phone! Can anyone help me??? Is there any other site where I can go to get non-DRM protected songs to download or is there a way to get these songs on my phone without doing all kinds of crazy things that I have read about (I don't even know how to burn CD's and I read about some other very complicated stuff that people have done which I didn't understand). I am so disappointed about this and now really wish I had never gone with a Blackberry. Also, is there anyway to tell if a song download is going to be locked BEFORE buying it? That would have helped too. Thanks for anyone who can help me out. It would be so appreciated. I really miss having music on my phone. Thanks!!!

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Downloading Music - What to do about DRM protected music???

you have two different problems :
1) when you get music (itunes or other), they often have DRM. Then you can only read them with a player that is compatible with those DRM.
2) the music file must be compatible with what the Blackberry can read.

you can certainly find a tool that can convert from a DRM file to a non-DRM file, in a regular format (like MP3 VBR 44.1kHz Stereo 256kbps).

if your music is on CDs, you can rip them to MP3.

and then copy the mp3 files on the memory card of your blackberry.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: