Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Driver issues

Hello I'm new to BlackBerry and am having issues setting it up via USB to my Dell running Windows 2000. I have used the CD-ROM that it came with, went to the windows driver website and both times it's found a driver but when installing it it it errors saying "an error occurred during the installation of the device.    The data is invalid.

I'm looking for some help,

Thanks

Jim

Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: Driver issues

Which version of the Desktop manager did you install?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply

V4.5 did I pick the wrong one?

Elite I

That should work fine. Are you running SP4 on Windows 2000? If so I'd try installing version 5.0 of the Desktop Manager that just recently got released.

First try performing a clean uninstall of the Desktop Manager , then after you reboot your machine, download version 5.0 from here

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
New Contributor

Thanks for the effort, but after cleaning, rebooting and DL ver 5 it comes with a warning that I must be running XP or higher.

I am running SP4 on Windows 2000. I am really just looking to use my BB for mass storage.

Any other ideas are welcome,

Thanks

Elite I

Ah. Looks like the last version of the Desktop Manager compatible with Windows 2000 would be 4.7 then. Try following this guide by installing the USB drivers first, then the Desktop Manager (if you need it)

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=BlackBerryDesktopSoftware&message.id=...

New Contributor

I'll give it a go, but I think I have tried that and it warned XP or higher
Elite I

For DM 4.7 too? Or just the USB drivers?
New Contributor

I DL BlackBerry USB and Modem Drivers ENG (DM4.5 B13) after installing other software. After running the set up hooked up the BB, my computer say the device, found the driver put the same warning as was in my first post showed up again. This is being coming trying!

I thank you for your help non the less.

Highlighted
Elite I

Can you uninstall the USB drivers, then perform a clean installation of the Desktop Manager by following the steps here

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB02206

After you reboot your computer just install the USB drivers and see if you're still having the problem