Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: AT&T

E-mail Attachments

I am having difficulty with e-mail attachments.  I've tried to e-mail a .mpg3 file.  WHEN the file arrives, it appears to be embeded in a "winmail.dat" file that will download but not extract the file.  Or it save it somewhere mysterious,  Help.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH505), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: E-mail Attachments

Hello,

I cannot quite tell which direction you are attempting...sending FROM the BB or receiving TO the BB. So, here are both relevant KBs:

• KB12163 Non Outlook email programs are receiving winmail.dat attachment when email is sent from a BlackBerry device
  • KB03820 A winmail.dat file is attached to a received email message instead of the original attachment

Typically, what happens is that some email service or gateway in the path is not handling the attachment correctly, and it is rendered not usable. I found, for example, that when I was sending attachments from my BB to one of my email accounts, they came through just fine. But if I sent the same thing to another of my email accounts, which has a forwarder to that first one, the attachment was not usable.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................