Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

E-mail Issues/Signal issues

About three days ago, my AT&T network BlackBerry stopped receiving e-mails from all three accounts: its default BlackBerry, a hotmail account and a work account.

This activity coincided with the start of the radio signal fluctuating, continuously cycling but never actually losing a signal. As the phone constantly searches for a signal, it drains the battery.

I tried to run a diagnostic test through Options/Mobile Network, but after 20 minutes of waiting, I speculated it was not going to complete.

I do have a decent signal, and I am able to access the Internet via the phone's browser.

What is causing this? How can I restore e-mail to my phone?

Help! 

Solutions: 6,380
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: E-mail Issues/Signal issues

Coincidently, there is (was) a regional data outage for the Southest US this morning. I started noticing issues late yesterday. What is your geographic location?

More info here:  http://www.blackberryforums.com/network-outages-powered-dataoutages-com/160664-t-outage-florida-sout...

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Thanks for the link.

I'm in Arkansas, which is near the confirmed outage area. Should I expect all connections to restore themselves? 

This morning's outage has been clearing up from the reports I have read... some still lingering. AND that does not mean you are in the outage area anyway.

The best way, and recommended, to first resolve any data or connection issues is to reboot the device.

With the BlackBerry device powered ON, remove the battery a few seconds and then reinsert the battery to reboot. 

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

I've already rebooted this morning, hoping that might clear up the situation. It has not, at least not as of 20 minutes ago.

I'm not sure that's the problem, however. During text messages, for instance, my phone is slow to catch up to my typing, and I'm not all that fast of a texter. This is also a new problem, which I suspect is related to the overall issue at hand.

It also concerns me I'm unable to complete a diagnostic check.

I've tried, using methods outlined in the forums, to clear up some memory on the phone and have successfully done so.

I'm operating at 16K of free file, which is above the threshold I've seen recommended on these boards.

Is something else amiss? 

Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

So does the signal go from EDGE to edge? How does it change?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Contributor

I don't know how to explain it except saying that it cycles.

I wear wireless headphones in my office, when the phone's signal radio fluctuates (such as when a text message or e-mail or call arrives) the electronic interference creates a buzz.

It has always done this. But now, it seems to be searching constantly. The frequency of such electronic interference has increased 10 fold, all without any e-mail coming in.

Arrows, those indicating data is being sent or received, are constant on the signal indicator. However, the phone does not seem to fall between edge and EDGE service. It remains on the EDGE service, despite the constant.

kskinder wrote:

I'm operating at 16K of free file, which is above the threshold I've seen recommended on these boards.

Did you mean 16K or 16MB of File Free (Options > Status)?  16K would be low, 16MB would be good.

16MB would be displayed in File Free as like this: 16123456 = 16,123,456 (eight digits).

16K (or KB) would display as: 1612345 = 1,612,345 (seven digits) only 1.6 MB, roughly speaking.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

No, it's definitely 16MB of free space. Sorry for that confusion.