Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Orange
Accepted Solution

E-mail settings Bold9700

Hello all,

I need to know if the phone(Blackberry 9700) will download previous(old) e-mails when setting up a Yahoo mailbox either manually or via Blackberry ID or it will start to receive messages from the moment when the account was set up ?

As I know, Yahoo is not an Exchange mailbox so it should not get old messages, right?

As far as I know Blackberry ID only saves the settings of the mailbox, not the content-emails, right ?

Thank you!

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH505), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: E-mail settings Bold9700

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Your assumptions are nearly correct.

By default, BBs begin to receive only new items starting from the time of integration of that email account to the BB...old items that are in the server mailbox are not brought to the BB. This actually holds true also for BES...though there are some tricks that can be done with BES (pre-population) that can bring some older email items to a BB, but not all (unless "all" items happen to fall within the time frame limits of pre-population). But, for your Yahoo, old items will not be brought to your BB.

As a further clarification, your BB ID technically does not maintain anything about your email configurations. Rather, it maintains a linkage to your BIS account, which is what actually contains your email credentials. But you are correct in that BIS maintains only your email settings, but not the contents of the mailbox.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Orange

Thank you for providing a such complete answer!
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH505), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

You are welcome...enjoy!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................