Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

E-mail through WiFi without BIS?

[ Edited ]
I'm considering the purchase of a Blackberry and I'd like to know if it's possible to use e-mail through the WiFi capabilities in some of the Blackberry phones without having to subscribe to the Blackberry Internet Service. I use Outlook for work and would like to be able to send/receive when in a WiFi zone. Is this possible?
Message Edited by shooster88 on 02-08-2009 12:50 AM
Forums Veteran III
My Device: Bold - T-mobile

Re: E-mail through WiFi without BIS?

Ok, here is the situation, you need the blackberry data plan to setup the mails accounts in the device.

All the applications that requires Internet access only run over the Internet Browser, NOT over WIFI

Only with WIFI you can surf the web and check the mail over the server. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I help you with any inquire, thank you for click kudos in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post was solved.
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

So just to clarify - I cannot use WiFi to access my Outlook e-mail without subscribing to BIS? The only way to check this e-mail is to use some sort of web-portal through the broser while on WiFi?

Thanks for clarification.

Forums Veteran III
My Device: Bold - T-mobile

I cannot use WiFi to access my Outlook e-mail without subscribing to BIS?

Correct, you need the BIS account to access the Outlook

The only way to check this e-mail is to use some sort of web-portal through the broser while on WiFi?

Correct too. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I help you with any inquire, thank you for click kudos in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post was solved.
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: BB 8320

Not exactly true.  You can, for instance, install LogicMail and access your email through IMAP or POP via WiFi.  Tiggitmail is another one, but I have not tried it.  Gmail apps, apparently, does not work through WiFi (but it aught to)

However, the "push" mail service that you might expect are not there--yet. Logicmail is a functional, but simple, app.  You start the app, retrieve your mail, and you reply.  It doesn't interact with the BB O/S, so the messages are not stored with the other messages.  Perhaps not stored at all.  Doubtless, LogicMail will improve over time, but it IS free, so it is worth a try.

Also note that WiFi for the 8320/50i has a bug in it related to power saving.  So it is slow and not that reliable.  For some hotspots (like mine, with Atheros cards) they don't even work.  BB knows about this and plans to do something RSN.