Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Earpiece not working-no speakerphone option

Hey there,

Yesterday my phone started acting weird...

BB Curve 8330 from Verizon.

When I get or make a call, I can hear nothing, and the other person cannot hear me at all. During the call, I press MENU and there is no speakerphone option? That part was very confusing.

Finally, when I plug in my headphones that came with it i can hear and can be heard.

I was playing with bluetooth and my laptop yesterday, but have disabled BT on my phone...could this be a problem? does it think I have a wireless headset activated?

Any help would be great, Thanks!

Brad

Forums Advisor III
My Device: 8330

Re: Earpiece not working-no speakerphone option

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

First thing to try is a Battery Pull:
1. Remove the battery while phone is turned on
2. Wait a few seconds before inserting it again
3. Allow the long boot up process to finish (takes a few minutes usually)

This clears most software issues that occur on blackberries from time to time. You could also use Quickpull, a free app that simulates a battery pull without physically removing the battery: http://software.crackberry.com/product.asp?id=27660
A battery pull reclaims memory lost during application usage and clears minor software errors that creep in over time. The blackberry runs an OS just like your PC runs windows and the battery pull is the equivalent of a reboot/restart on your computer.

Kijana
Please remember to:
1. Mark Accept as Solution on the appropriate post once your issue has been resolved
2. Give Kudos to helpful posts (click the star next to the post)
Thanks Smiley Happy
New Contributor

I have QuickPull, and just ran that. No luck.

I am very confused why the option for speaker phone is missing in the menu during a call...so im not sure if it is a hardware or software issue.

Thanks for your help, any other ideas? Might just need to find a verizon shop around here...

Forums Advisor III
My Device: 8330

Ok, well let us try a complete reload of your OS.

1. Backup phone data: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB12487
  2. Backup 3rd party apps: http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-back-up-3rd-party-applications-53201/
  3. Perform a clean installation of your OS: www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB11320

Before restoring the backups, ensure everything is working. Then only restore specific backup databases that you must have e.g. address book; this ensures any corrupt databases (if any) aren't transferred back to the phone.

You can then proceed to load 3rd party apps again.

Kijana
Please remember to:
1. Mark Accept as Solution on the appropriate post once your issue has been resolved
2. Give Kudos to helpful posts (click the star next to the post)
Thanks Smiley Happy
New Contributor

So I did all that, and still no luck.

I went to check if my mic on my earphones worked well, so I went into voice recorder to test it.

In that menu, there was an 'Activate Handset' option, which fixed everything.

I could tell something just wasnt 'on', and found something. Thanks for your help!

My Device: Blackberry World
My Carrier: T Mobile

This exact same problem just happened to me.  Speakerphone option gone, can't hear callers and they can't hear me- yet I can still hear the ringer and text alert noise.  How did you get to this separate menu?  I don't have a headset.  Please help!!