Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry BB8530
My Carrier: Verizon

Eliminating the SMS message thread format

The SMS messages from the same cell phone or source are all grouped together as though they are one thread.  This makes them impossible to read and organize since they are not threads in my case.  How can I make each SMS message have its own entry in the message list regardless of origin?

Thank you,

Edward Warren

Retired
My Device: 9000, 9500
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Eliminating the SMS message thread format

Hello,

SMS messages are now threaded on the BlackBerry smartphone and can not be disabled.

Thank you

-DrP

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8530

Dont' take a feature that your users have become accustomed to and completely remove or change it and call it an 'upgrade'.  All you are doing is causing problems for users, not adding features.  At the VERY least, give us the OPTION to use threaded SMS or not.  There are several, business-related reasons that threaded SMS is disruptive and unhelpful.  A Blackberry is primarily a business-related device.  Come on, RIM.  Use common sense.  Just look at how many users are actually downgrading their OS to avoid your 'upgrades'.  Ridiculous.

New Contributor
My Device: curve

[ Edited ]

I agree, Jerrywaggoner. 

But if the curt attitude of the reply from technical adviser Dr Palto is anything to go by, I don't hold out much hope of Blackberry listening to its customers.

We don't all want SMS 'conversations'! They are not practical. I don't want a single line of text on screen when composing a long message. I compose SMS messages like emails, so give us back what we had - how hard can that be and why would it trouble Blackberry so much to do that?

We are not all trendy Blackberry users chatting away with our young trendy friends - my Blackberry is a business tool and bought because it did simple things so much better than the iPhone. Introducing this chat element to a vital part of my business use of the Blackberry is not the way forward for an upgrade.

I have joined this forum specifically because I am not tech-savvy enough to downgrade the OS and want to register my protest. 

I can't see why, in the SMS options field under 'Conversation' style, there can't be a 'none' - keep your 'bubbles', this is a business machine [keep it courteous please]

To simple say it has been disabled, Dr Palto, is not good enough. Please explain when this is going to be sorted, or recommend that I head back to Nokia, which doesn't mess its customers about.

I look forward to your reply.

Regards

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8530

I guess there should be a third option:

Bubbles

Stripes

Switch to an Android phone

Solutions: 6,421
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

smithbob wrote:

To simple say it has been disabled, Dr Palto, is not good enough. Please explain when this is going to be sorted, or recommend that I head back to Nokia,

If it is not going to be "sorted out" why would you expect someone to lie to you with a date?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Sorry, JSanders, not sure I get your drift.

I DO want this to be sorted out. Blackberry claim it is aware of these concerns but if there are no real plans to sort it out then Blackberry should just be upfront and say so, in which case Blackberry and me will part ways.

I don't want to be lied to, I want a phone that isn't more of a pain to use than a £10 basic thing from a supermarket. 

My Device: Blackberry Tour 9630

I agree with Bob and Jerry.  This threaded sms should be an option, not something forced upon us.  It's the single most annoying thing about my blackberry -- and I've been a blackberry user for over 10 years.

RIM obviously could care less about this issue.  While they were at one time the king of smartphones, times are changing and thankfully, we now have comparable if not better options.

Perhaps that's what RIM actually wants.  They seem to be more concerned with the younger generation of users -- and phasing out what business people are looking for.

What's most upsetting about the issue is that we're not even asking for the feature to be eliminated, just adaptable to eveyrone.  The fact that the request seems to be too much for RIM to bothered with speaks volumes.

Thankfully my cellular contact is ending soon -- just in time to find a phone company that actually cares what what it's consumers actually want.   

New Contributor

In being troubled by this stupid situation I've had an idea.

These threaded/conversations SMS messages seem here to stay, despite what we want. But why can't Blackberry make them actual conversations?

To explain - if sms messages between me and another person are pinging back and forward, then keep the 'thread' together.

If it is a day/two days/a week (user options, Blackberry folk, are a marvellous invention) then start afresh. Give me a blank screen - a full screen like the good old days!! - to write on.

Genius? Maybe I just need my old Nokia back instead of this wishful thinking rubbish that I seem to be doing because it is making me weary...

Contributor
My Device: Curve 9360
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I totally agree with what people are saying about this issue.  At least make it an option to have an unthreaded listing of texts.  I can't believe that after at least a year now, it's still not an option.