Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: Telus

Email Help (Don't Know User Name)

Hey Guys,

When I purchased my Tour (9630) phone, the good people @ Futureshop helped me setup my "Gmail" email on it. It worked great until recently when I had to change my "Gmail" Password, and now I no longer receive "Gmail" emails on my phone.

I searched and found out how to update the password on my phone, but it is asking for a User Name & Password. For the life of me I can't think of what the User Name is. I tried a couple different user names and tried the "Forgot Password" link but never got any response. Is there any other way to find out what your user name might be? I tried setting up a new user name but it says there is already one registered to my pin.

I searched for a similar post on the forums, but didn't find anything.

Thanks to anyone who responds,

Sean M

New Contributor

Re: Email Help (Don't Know User Name)

Bump!

Anyone have any suggestions? You think Telus will be able to help me?

Sean

New Contributor

Your Gmail "user name" is your Gmail email address.

So if your Gmail email address is (for example) seanermac@gmail.com

Your Gmail "user name" is also seanermac@gmail.com

New Contributor

There is a specific user name & password for "Email Settings" on Blackberry's that are unrelated to Gmail or any other email provider. I had it in my head that Blackberry (RIM) would have to give me this info, but since it was slow @ work I decided to call Telus (My service provider) and aparently they have it.

Turned out my user name was my 10 digit phone number, and they were able to reset my password for me.

Hopefully anyone else who has the same problem will be able to read this post and be helped by it.

Sean

New Contributor

Perhaps it is something enforced by Telus. There is no such username/password required to access "Email Settings" on my Blackberry (Verizon).

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

The BIS credentials do not always exist. The BIS account is what stores all of your email credentials so that BIS can check your email servers and then push to your BB what is needed. The BIS accounts are managed by the carriers -- not by RIM directly. Some carriers always create BIS credentials...others do not. Technically, the BIS credentials are not needed if you only access the Email Setup via the device -- since you are accessing from the device, it knows who you are. But, the carriers also host web-based access to their BIS, at which time BIS credentials must be created so as to enable their BIS system to identify you and show you your BIS information. Once credentials are created, they are thereafter required on the device as well...but it has a "remember me" check box so you only have to enter those credentials on the BB once.

Hope that helps!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................