Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: ATT

Email Notification Tones Not Taking

Hi.  I had a Curve 8310 & studied forum upon forum @ that time to set up ringtones for people using Profiles & Exceptions.  It was great.

When I got my Torch, it moved those Profiles over, but I notice when I am setting up my ringtones to the new phone, there is no "Exception" to match the Profile.  Thus, if I have say "home" set to ring one tone per a call, another per a text, another per a email - & have 5 people in that group... it is not working.  Under "Sounds for Contacts" the Profile appears.  You can set the Phone & Messages to whatever ring tone you want, however "messages" encompasses all messages - text, email, FB, etc.

If you then go to "Profile Management", the same group appears & you can set all notifications just as you could on the Curve 8310.  But they will not take.  Only the "Sounds and Contacts" alerts take - not the differentations you may set under "Profile Management". 

I think the problem is that in the Curve menu, you had to identify the profile in the exceptions screen.  In the Torch there doesn't seem to be a way to do that, or not one I've found.  Although, the button or option SHOULD BE in the "Sounds & Contacts" screen.

Anyway, if anyone knows what I'm doing incorrectly due to the new settings in the Torch, please advise.  I have about 10 groups of people I like to get different notifiers for via text, email, & ringtones.  I find it very helpful in determining whether I need to respond right away. 

Thanks - any help much appreciated!

p.s. deleting the Profile under "sounds & contacts" (only leaving the Profile Management one up does not work either.  I would think obviously b/c there's no way to offset it.