Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Z10
Accepted Solution

Email Setup Problems on Torch

I Know how to setup email accounts on my phone. I have done it several times in the past. This time, the problem started with me not receiving emails from one of my accounts. I thought there was an issue with the account, so I deleted it. I have been trying since then to set it up again without success.

But here is the kicker. I am able, on the same phone, to setup other accounts like gmail or anything.com. They work perfectly. But if I try to setup my .me or .us domain accounts, I am unable to. What kind of problem can prevent certain domains from being setup on Blackberry? It just gives this message about email address or password not correct and to contact domain host.

Contributor

Re: Email Setup Problems on Torch

[ Edited ]

Any takers? Anyone else has this problem?

Let me make it clearer. I am able to setup abc@mno.com but NOT abc@mno.us. I talked to the phone carrier and the email host. They both said things were fine from their side. What on earth could be responsible for this? Thanks.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hello,

The exact and complete error message you receive would be most helpful to trying to understand your situation..."gives this message about" could be interpreted several ways, and interpreted wrongly could lead to a wrong resolution.

Have you also tried, via your BB Browser, www.blackberry.com/integrate? Sometimes that can succeed where other methods fails. Also try, from a PC/browser, your carriers BIS website if they have one. Further still, contact your carrier to see if they can integrate the account for you.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Thanks, Sdgardne. The message I get is, "Invalid email address or password. Verify your address and password. If the error persists, contact XYZ.us". I don't have to contact the host because I successfully configured the same account on my brother's iPhone. My carrier assured me everything is fine from their side as well.

I also tried the "integrate" thing. It asked me to Launch Email Setup. I did, and it came with "Unknown error, please try again".

Thanks.
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Not every carrier allows the Integrate site to function with their network...sadly, yours seems to not allow it. The configuration wizard, when left to itself, attempts to query the server (based on the email address/password you provide) for the required settings so as to configure...but, not all services respond correctly, which can result in failures like you describe. In such cases, the advanced configuration method (where you bypass the wizard) can help. Refer:

• KB15499 How to set up a BlackBerry Internet Service email address from the BlackBerry smartphone

What you need to do is get it to fail on the wizard once...usually by providing a valid email address but an intentionally invalid password. The screen should repaint, but with an added checkbox for something like "I will provide the settings manually". Check that and proceed, and you will be presented with screens to fully configure all of the necessary settings (server names, port numbers, etc.). Of course, you need to first obtain those necessary settings...either from the email service provider, by looking at the settings on a different device that has that exact account fully configured, or by using the EAVT:

• Article ID: KB33444 How to use the Email Account Validation Tool (EAVT)

Otherwise, you would want to contact your carrier (Sprint, according to your profile here) as they manage your BIS account for you and may be able to succeed where others fail. And, if they cannot succeed, only they can formally escalate your case up to BlackBerry for enhanced review.

Good luck and let us know!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

"What you need to do is get it to fail on the wizard once...usually by providing a valid email address but an intentionally invalid password. The screen should repaint, but with an added checkbox for something like "I will provide the settings manually". Check that and proceed, and you will be presented with screens to fully configure all of the necessary settings (server names, port numbers, etc.)..."

That's what I did and after soooooo many tries, I was able to get the option to manually configure it. The setup was done. Now I realize it takes a while for messages to get to the inbox, but I can live with that until I switch phones. I just don't know if to stay on with BB or change brand. This is a scary experience for me.

Hall of Famer III

Torchman7 wrote:
Now I realize it takes a while for messages to get to the inbox, but I can live with that

It varies by server type...the more "capable" your server, the more frequent you can receive email to your device. With the least capable servers, 15-20 minute delays are normal. With the most capable servers, immediate delivery can happen. It all depends on the capability of the server and it's ability to properly interact with BIS. Given that the BIS wizard could not properly interact with the server, I'd not expect much. But do realize that to be a limitation of the server more than the device.

Torchman7 wrote:
until I switch phones. I just don't know if to stay on with BB or change brand. This is a scary experience for me.

BBs are not for the faint of heart. They are, by their very nature, complicated. They are the most secure mobile devices available...with security, comes complexity. The two cannot be divorced.

Good luck!

Contributor

sdgardne wrote:

BBs are not for the faint of heart. They are, by their very nature, complicated. They are the most secure mobile devices available...with security, comes complexity. The two cannot be divorced.

Good luck!

Exactly. That is the main reason I love BB. Security. All those so called "5000 apps" on Android and iPhones don't impress me. How many apps can one use anyway? LOL. I sense conspiracy to make BB fail, or is it just me? Smiley Very Happy I wish BB good luck. I'd have their products many times before I consider any alternatives. Just that it sucks when your phone doesn't work.

Hall of Famer III

Torchman7 wrote:
How many apps can one use anyway? LOL.

The common answer seems to be "more". LOL! The free marketplace is a curious thing indeed.

Torchman7 wrote:

sdgardne wrote:

I sense conspiracy to make BB fail, or is it just me?

Can't be proven, but I sense similar to you!

Torchman7 wrote:

sdgardne wrote:

. Just that it sucks when your phone doesn't work.

Hence the many kind volunteers on this site, to help you through those tough times and become again happy with your BB device.

Good luck!

Contributor

Believe it or not, I just bought a Z10 yesterday. Just can't get away from BB. Security trumps other considerations for me.