Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Verizon BlackBerry Tour 9630
Accepted Solution

Email and talk on phone at same time

I'm planning to purchase a Bold next week.  Is it true the Bold is the first BlackBerry that is capable of sending emails (not simply typing emails) and talking on the phone (or sending a text message) at the same time?  Older models were not capable of sending emails and using the phone line at the same time because they could not use EDGE for emails and GSM/GPRS for phone calls simultaneously.

My Device: 8900

Re: Email and talk on phone at same time

This is indeed true of most networks.

GPRS and EDGE both are unable to send data during a GSM call. GSM uses the channel to make the call and therefore data is not given a slice, with realtime voice having priority.

It s possibe to send data if your device has another route other than the voice channel to pass the data. e.g. WiFi or Cable serial bypass.

However I believe some where buried deep in the 3gpp specs it is possibe depending on the GPRS class of the device and if your network has the feature enabled. However most networks don't see any point as with 3G it is possible to make voice and data calls simultaneously.

To answer your question... A Bold attached to a 3G network can send and receive email whilst on a voice call.

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Email and talk on phone at same time

I tried this on my Storm.

The email can be typed while on the phone, but will sit unsent in the message queue until you hang up.

I agree with kerseyr.

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter