Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Email application is grayed out on BlackBerry desktop software.

I have Blackberry desktop software version 4.5 installed on my computer. I can not access the email application because it is grayed out. When I do try to access it I get a error message, "This computer does not know it's message account address. Either the messaging system is not configured properly or this messaging system is not supported." I am using outlook for my emails. I have a BlackBerry 8330 Curve. It is updated with version 4.5. The software recognizes the phone. All of the other programs are accessible. 

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm

Re: Email application is grayed out on BlackBerry desktop software.

Is this on a home computer?  It sounds like you have installed the desktop software using the BES/ Redirector option.  Redirector is designed for use with an exchange server; if you are in fact using your home PC with a POP/IMAP email address, the best solution would be to reinstall the desktop manager using the BIS option (located in the setup wizard) and then use the Blackberry Internet Service to setup your POP/IMAP email.  With this configuration, you will no longer see the email settings icon because it will no longer be applicable.  When using Redirector on a computer that is not on an exchange server, you may also receive messages to your device that say "this message is used to carry data between the blackberry and the associated server...", which can be quite annoying.