Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Pearl 8100
Accepted Solution

Email goes to SMS inbox

Hi,

I would like to know how to stop my email messages from going to my SMS inbox! I have a Pearl 8100.

If anyone knows, I would really appreciate it Smiley Happy

Thanks

Developer
My Device: 8900

Re: Email goes to SMS inbox

Open up your messages, press the menu key and select options.

Select general options scroll down to SMS and email inboxes.

Set it to be seperate, SMS and Mail should then remain seperate.

New Contributor

That did not work... they keep showing up in the inbox Smiley Sad
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

cachete83 wrote:
That did not work... they keep showing up in the inbox Smiley Sad

Are you by chance running a custom theme? This could be overriden by that...

Plus -- when you say "inbox"...is that truly how it is labeled on your homescreen?

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

I have the BB Dimension Zen theme. 

The screen says "Messages" for the sms

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Your "messages" folder is for ALL messages.

you can remove the SMS from it, but your personal BIS email will go there. Always.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

X2 ^^^

Messages is the catch all for all messages of all types from all accounts. An SMS/MMS separate icon can be created under some OS levels (you already have the instructions for that above). Your BIS-based emails will also show in their independent icons, but they will all also always display in the main Messages icon. If you have BES, your messages will be default only show in Messages, intermingled with everything else. If you have BES and you want to split that out, say so and we'll provide some ways to do that. But Messages will forever remain the catch all.

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Ohh now I see. I did not know that! OK thank you both very much!!
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I just finished reading through these posts and I do have a BES  and I would like the email from there to be displayed with a separate icon.  I understand that the Messages folder shows all.  I have tried the steps outlined in the KB # KB15003 but I get an 'unable to read input file' message when I run the command.  The smartphone is question is a Pearl 8130. with v4.3.0.66.  It is my boss's phone.  Also, if I remove the user from the BES and then re-add him, the calendar entries are doubled.  Likely an unrelated issue but looking for help on that doesn't involve wiping the phone and restarting. 

Thanks

MBMcKeever 

Hall of Famer III

MBMcKeever wrote:

I just finished reading through these posts and I do have a BES  and I would like the email from there to be displayed with a separate icon.  I understand that the Messages folder shows all.  I have tried the steps outlined in the KB # KB15003 but I get an 'unable to read input file' message when I run the command.  The smartphone is question is a Pearl 8130. with v4.3.0.66.  It is my boss's phone.  Also, if I remove the user from the BES and then re-add him, the calendar entries are doubled.  Likely an unrelated issue but looking for help on that doesn't involve wiping the phone and restarting. 

Thanks

MBMcKeever 

Hello.

BES is a different animal.

By default, BES email is put only into the Messages icon/app. BIS emails are placed into their own icons, but they remain contained in the main Messages app. This is how it works by default. It is not redundant -- rather, think of Messages as the catch-all place, with the independent BIS icons being a filter, pulling (from Messages) to them only the messages that pertain to them...but if you act on an email (read, delete, etc.) in one, the change will be reflected in the other.

While you discussed this KB, I can't quite tell how you made the attempt...hence I'm re-posting it here for reference. Your BES Admin can push a BES-only email icon to your device. This solution is free, but must be conducted at the BES server, and will affect all users on that BES server.

• KB15003 How to create a separate icon on the BlackBerry smartphone for only BlackBerry Enterprise Server messages

If you indeed attempted the above on the BES server (which would then say that you are the BES admin), then you might need to inquire of other BES admins in that section of our forums:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Enterprise-Solution/bd-p/BlackBerryEnterpriseSolut...

or

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Enterprise-Server/bd-p/bes5

An alternative is to use an add-on app -- the Empower BES Inbox application does this. This solution costs (per user), but does not require a change at the server, and only affects the one user.

Or, if your device OS has the option, you can dictate what shows in Messages:

• Homescreen > Messages > BBKey > Options > Main Message List Settings > uncheck what you want to suppress in Messages

Neither of the first two solutions will do anything about Messages -- it will continue to contain everything that it today contains. All they will do is activate an additional icon on your homescreen that is a filter for your BES-only emails. You can hide or move the Messages icon/app somewhere out of the way, but beware -- there are more than just emails that arrive in Messages...there will come a day when you have a new message flag and only by digging through Messages will you be able to find that message.

Hopefully that helps explain how it all works!

As to the duplicated calendar entries...while Wiping is probably the best method, you could perhaps use this:

1) Remove the BB from BES

2) Use the RIM desktop software to clear the calendar database (Task 2 in the KB)

KB04950 How to reset the BlackBerry smartphone calendar application

3) Re-activate on BES

Good luck!