Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Tour
My Carrier: Verizon
Accepted Solution

Email password stopped working on BB only?

Blackberry Tour keeps giving me error that password for my email is wrong I'm having the problem now with my hotmail email on my BB since yesterday.  I've tried to remove my battery, I've entered it like 30 +times, I even deleted the email from my phone.  Now I can't add it back, it keeps saying that it's an invalid password and it can't validate, and to contact hotmail.com.  I even changed my password on hotmail.com,  I just logged into my hotmail on the actual computer with the correct same password, the same one that my BB won't take.  When I put in my password on the email setup page it says, "Processing, please wait..." Then I get this error, "Invalid email address or password. Verify your email address and password.  If the error persist, contact hotmail.com. "  I have other email accounts on my phone that are working just fine. 

Solutions: 6,380
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

Re: Email password stopped working on BB only?

You are absolutely sure that you are entering any password numerals or uppercase characters correctly?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Yes. I even clicked on show password so that I can see it.  I know it is correct for sure.  I keep logging in and out of hotmail on line with the same password.

I hate to say, but give it several hours or later today and try to add the account back to the BIS then.

I don't know why it's not taking it now, but I've seen it before not work, and then mysteriously work later.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: AT&T

This appears to be a common issue and there are several threads about this....

I'll keep trying and post back if my email service eventually gets successfully added back to my blackberry.

Edited to add:  I tried adding my son's msn account and it set up just fine via the web at blackberry service and also again via email setup on my phone.  When I use the web based email setup process I receive an "invalid email or password: error.  When I use the blackberry handheld email setup application I get an error message that says "Unable to set up email.  Please try again."  Yes - I am sure I am using the right msn password - I have signed on to my account several times to be sure.  This is incredibly frustrating.  Any ideas at all?  Is this the only support that is available - asking other users? 

Here is a recent BlackBerry  Knowledge Base article on the issue:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB13137

I'll copy the text of the KB here:

Overview

Every 360 days Windows Live email addresses (Windows Live Hotmail, MSN, or Bell Sympatico) that are integrated with the BlackBerry Internet Service are required to be re-validated to continue being sent and received on the BlackBerry smartphone. A notification is received approximately 3 days prior to the end of the 360-day re-validation period, depending on when the email address was last re-validated. A PIN message similar to the following might be received:

You must confirm your %EMAILADDRESS% password on your BlackBerry® device by %EXPIRYDATE% to continue sending or receiving email messages for this account.

<work instructions appear here>

Microsoft® Corporation requires Windows Live™ email account users who use mobile devices to validate their accounts every 360 days. Other email accounts on your BlackBerry device will not be affected

Email messages are unable to be sent or received on the BlackBerry smartphone by Windows Live email addresses that are not successfully re-validated before the expiration of the 360-day re-validation period. The recurring 360-day re-validation requirement is included in the Microsoft license agreement that is completed by the BlackBerry smartphone user during the process to integrate Windows Live email addresses with the BlackBerry Internet Service. By design, the re-validation notifications are staggered during a re-validation period and are dependent on when re-validation last occurred.

Cause

The integrated email address has not been authenticated within the required 360-day time frame.

Resolution

Integrated email addresses can be re-validated using the BlackBerry smartphone or a computer.

To re-validate a Windows Live email address from the BlackBerry smartphone, complete the following steps:

1. On the Home screen of the BlackBerry smartphone, click Email Settings.

Note: Email Settings might be located either on the Home screen or in the Setup folder.

2. Type the BlackBerry Internet Service user name and password if prompted.
  3. Click the Windows Live email address.
  4. Click Edit.
  5. Type the password associated with the email address.
  6. Click Save.

To re-validate a Windows Live email address from a computer, complete the following steps:

1. Browse to the wireless service provider's web site.
  2. Type the BlackBerry Internet Service user name and password if prompted.
  3. When no user name and password is used for the BlackBerry Internet Service, see KB18258.
  4. Go to Email Accounts.
  5. Edit the email account.
  6. Type the password associated with the email address.
  7. Click Save.

To re-validate a Windows Live email address, click a link from the following list of wireless service providers to be taken to the BlackBerry Internet Service web site for that wireless service provider:

Canada

United States

United Kingdom

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Unfortunately that process is not working - hence the request here for ideas.  There was also not three days notice given before the emails were abruptly stopped.  Is this just a Blackberry quirk or a new Windows Live requirement?    I have never had to do this with any other service. 

[ Edited ]

It is a Microsft requirement, and in the past it was an every 90 day re-validation, now annually.

Let me suggest this, hold on a few hours and try the validation or email adding again. The process normally takes place just as described in the KB. Today, there could server issues at MSN/MS, which would be causing this error.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Sincerely - Thanks for the suggestions.  It appears that there are quite a few people with the exact same issue.  I have had MSN and other smartphones for many years and have never had an issue.  I have had my Blackberry for less than 8 months so I don't know how my 360 trigger could have happened.  This occurred yesterday, and I am not sure how long I am supposed to wait.  MSN says they don't know what is up and I don't even know how to get an official answer from Blackberry. 

New Contributor

Ditto Mattys, mine went down yesterday.  I've waited minutes, hours, rebooted, deleted email, tried to add back.  Almost 24 hours now, and nothing.  I'm so frustrated with this.  I need my msn emails on my BB!