Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Tour (Verizon)

Email reconciliation issue (I think)

I use Outlook on my laptop for Exchange Server company email (IMAP). How do I prevent the BB from marking my emails as "READ", other than manually marking them as "UNREAD" every time? One help (misnomer if ever I saw one !!) screen says to go to the "BlackBerry® Internet Service web site" and change options there, but for the life of me I cannot find that web site and the help screen doesn't provide any links.

Thanx.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Email reconciliation issue (I think)

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

So -- is your firm on BES? If so, then the entire question goes to your BES admins as they are in control.

If not BES, then your firm must be facing to the internet some portal to your company email -- IMAP you mention. This functions, for the BB, via BIS -- Blackberry Internet Service. BIS is a service, hosted at your carrier, that provides a conduit between your email server and your BB...BIS checks for things on the server that need to replicate to the BB and pushes out those that do (no traffic is generated over the carrier network unless there is something needing to come to the BB).

There are 2 interfaces to BIS...one on the device ( Setup > Email Settings ) and the other hosted by your carrier ( http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Where_can_I_log_into_my_BIS_account%3F/ ).  If you use the carrier hosted website version (my preferance, btw -- my full keyboard, mouse, monitor, and computer is much easier to use than my tiny BB screen/keyboard!), then you will have to create credentials to log into BIS...BIS stores your email credentials, and those need to be protected by the BIS credentials.

You can see a demo of email configuration here:

Hope that gets you going!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................