Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Email size limit

Hi all

Would like to check whether there is a maximum file size for the attachment sent to my Blackberry email. I've tried to send an email of about 10MB but it bounced back with the error.

"host mx02.bis.ap.blackberry.com [216.9.247.33]:552 size limit exceeded"

Is there any way I can work around it? Any advise is appreciated.
Contributor

Re: Email size limit

which carrier as tmobile has none
Contributor

if it bounced it is the remote server that has the size limit. 10mb is the absolute MAX attachment size that can be downloaded by a BES. If it sent on your end the problem isnt on your side, its on the receiving side.

Forums Advisor I
My Device: Curve 8900

wilsonteowh wrote:
Hi all

Would like to check whether there is a maximum file size for the attachment sent to my Blackberry email. I've tried to send an email of about 10MB but it bounced back with the error.

"host mx02.bis.ap.blackberry.com [216.9.247.33]:552 size limit exceeded"

Is there any way I can work around it? Any advise is appreciated.

Check this thread where I posted a link to a article in the knowledge base here:

New Contributor

Hi guys,

From my understanding, there's a 5MB limit per BIS email+attachment, and BIS account will autopurge every 30 days.

Cheers,
BenZ

Powered by hopeless BlackBerry Addict !
BlackBerryCool.com
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

Can someone from Blackberry support confirm that with BES one can manually change the email attachment size to a maximum of 10MB? Or is there some paper that shows confirms this and maybe how it's done?

Thanks.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

cpgi1095 wrote:

Can someone from Blackberry support confirm that with BES one can manually change the email attachment size to a maximum of 10MB? Or is there some paper that shows confirms this and maybe how it's done?

Thanks.

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Two problems...

1) You are in the BIS forum, asking about BES...

2) These forums are a user-to-user support channel, not a user-to-RIM conduit. As such, it is unlikely that they will see and respond to what you have written.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

Oh, Sorry about that. Just got the link from searching from Google and one of the guys here mentioned about BES. Anyways, i'll move on then.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Well, don't give up...I know that our BES experts will have your answer...it's just that they hang out here:

and here:

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi again

I raised this question about the maximum email size the BIS can handle some time back and would like to revisit this thread.

Although I've grown to accomodate with this size limitation, I'm hoping I can get help to overcome another issue related to it.

The thing is, I forward all my emails from my regular mailbox to my Blackberry email. So even if I can't recieve emails >5MB on my Blackberry handset, I still get it into my laptop mailbox.

However, the sender gets confused as they recieve an error message from BIS saying the email did not go through. I don't mind not having it on my handset but I was hoping that the bounced back error message can be disabled.

Because I get big emails regularly. It would save me the hassle of explaining to the sender each time they get the error message.

I hope to get some suggestions how I can work around this problem.

Thank you in advance!