Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: 9000 bold
Accepted Solution

Email storage at BB

Mine is BB 9000 bold. I wonder how big the Email storage is available for BB. When I used the first generation BB, I not only have to delete the email but PURGE them from time to time to make way for incoming emails, otherwise emails are stuck. This is particularly important when I have to travel a long time where I want to keep many items (with attachments) in the BB. I know the BB 9000 have much bigger storage. How big are they?

Also do I have to purge the emails as a way of permanent deletion or just simply deleting an email is a permanent removal of email and to make way for storage. If I need to purge, where do I activate it?

Thank you.

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Email storage at BB

[ Edited ]

Hi and welcome  to the forums!

I do not believe there is a theoretical "Limit" on how many emails may be saved. They are held in device memory, and as the device runs low and  needs memory he will clear memory from "none vital" system areas, call logs, text messages, emails. The simple deletion of an email is sufficient to release the memory back to the device, no special "purge"is needed.

I have seen third party programs that can save the attachments to the media card, but not the email itself.

If you need more info please ask!  If not please resolve the thread using the options by the Kudos’ star, Just place the check in the Post that answered your question, Thanks  

Message Edited by Bifocals on 10-21-2008 01:08 AM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Contributor

Two follow up questions:

The BB shows as at this moment "File Free status is 17077905 bytes" in "Option" folder. I know this storage is common for video, picture, email and others. Does this mean to me that at this point of time, I still have about 1.7 GB for net storage (in addition to software space)?

The BB will purge by itself the less important emails when it is about full. Does it mean that I have to put the important emails on "saved message" to avoid its automatic purge process?

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi,

Actually the figure is 16.2867593765259 megabytes.

You are right about the use however. As far as video and picture I would strongly advise getting a media card for your device.

The BB will purge the oldest   email, not the less important. It couldn't assume what is important.

Using the saved message feature will keep them from being deleted, but will also take up device memory.

If you need more info please ask!  If not please resolve the thread using the options by the Kudos’ star, Just place the check in the Post that answered your question, Thanks  

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Contributor

One more question. You told me the free NET storage is 16.2867593765259 megabytes.

I assume this is the free storage of new BB. From time to time for checking, could I still go to Option - Status - File Free as a guide. Taking away one mega to get the net storage is about the right indication.