Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Email via wifi on the 8900

Hi,

Could you let me know more specific, which of the option I should try?

To get the GPRS/EDGE available and turn off WiFi ??

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

jurgen_oscar wrote:

Hi,

Could you let me know more specific, which of the option I should try?

To get the GPRS/EDGE available and turn off WiFi ??

I am going to have to ask you to rephrase the question, I am not sure what it is that you are asking.

Thanks for understanding.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

I am confused.  If I was to buy a WiFi enabled phone such as a 8220 for T-Mobile, unlock it and use it on AT&T without a data or internet plan, could I walk into any WiFi cafe or a WiFi McDonalds, launch the browser and go to gmail.com or hotmail.com to check my email or another web based email site?  Any limitations or rsstrictions?

Thanks...

Neil 

Contributor

Hi Neil,

According to my understanding, please note:

1. WiFi will work, even if you take out your SIM card, and turn-on the WiFi (I have not try it out).

2. In my experience, with the SIM card attached, WiFi ON, I can surf the internet with the HotSpot browser, no problem.

But here is the catch, if you install applications such as: GMail, Google Sync, etc, it will NOT work.

Meanwhile you can surf via the hotspot browser. Is it strange?

HTH.

Contributor

So I would be able to go to hotmail or yahoo without a data plan at any WiFi cafe and surf the net for free?

Thanks...

Neil 

Contributor

If you can setup your WiFi to connect to the hotspot at the cafe, I think you should be able to direct your browser to go to hotmail/yahoo for FREE.
Contributor

So any flavor of Blackberry that has WiFi is what I should be looking for?  The Pearl 8120 or Curve 8320?

Do you have to configure each WiFi spot - Starbucks in the morning, McDonald's in the afternoon and a local coffee shop in the evening or most WifFi settings with WEP and various security disabled preety standard? 

Thanks...

Neil 

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

9000 Bold, 8900, and any other BB ending in xx20, have WiFi.

Your WiFi settings window will save WiFi profiles, of places you have been with WiFi (if you save that WiFi profile).

So... Yes, Starbucks, McD, whatever. And you can visit most any website that allows mobile access to check your email. 

As stated above, you won't reall BB push email... but that is a choice you are making.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

I just bought a 8900 and this is the first BB I am using so I am not accustomed to it and would appreciate anyones help with what I thought was a basic question. However, this post suggests others might also be having this problem.

Currently I do not have a data plan so I want to keep the WI-FI as the default browser. Even though I am connected to a wi-fi network the brower shows the EDGE sign on top and it is using GPRS connectivity for browsing which becomes very expensive. If I turn of Data Services then the browser does not work.
I am not looking for push email or any working any other application, I just want basic browsing facility via wi-fi and not through EDGE or GPRS.
Is this possible in 8900 and if so how can I configure this.
Appologies if I am repeating a question asked elsewhere but assistance will be appreciated.
Thanks.
Contributor

Yes, Wifi on the curve 8900 works even without the SIM card inserted.  So if you can connect to a wifi access point (home router, McDonald's, Starbucks, etc) you can use the phone for free Internet web browsing.  You can also use wifi mail apps like LogicMail that also do NOT require a data plan.

I've verified all of this by removing my SIM card, while remaining connected to my home wifi network and doing all of these things. 

My initial problem though, and still my problem, is once you put you SIM card back in the phone, there is still some kind of data transfter going on behind the scenes that I cant figure out.

I know this for a FACT!  I have a prepaid card that I load with minutes and as i use them, i can dial *100# for free to check the status of the remaining minutes.  When I go to bed I'll have say $10.00.  When I wake up and check the minutes, it will be down to say $9.82 or something.  It's different every time, but I've recognized that 9 cents are being deducted at random time through out the day.

I have absolutley NO DATA plan with my service provider.  I only have the HOTSPOT browser on my unlocked 8900 curve (internet browser is not even an option).  Since I don't have a data plan, I can't use BES or BIS and don't have email accounts set up.  I've disabled and removed all APN settings from TCP/IP.  I have turned the phones timing source off of "Blackberry" to "phone". 

So why is data still being deducted off of my regular phone bill?

There is some back door data transfer going on and I don't know why or how!!!!!  If anyone can explain, that would be great becuase even those these phones are designed to work with data plans, you don't have to use them.  How can I be losing money to data charges when I have nothing configured that would allow this to happen?