Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Curve 9630
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Emergency Alert Messages

I'm having a different problem since the last OS. A new folder (Emergency Alert Messages) appeared and I keep getting multiple messages:

Monthly Test Alert   This is a test of...a series of symbols, Greek letters and numbers keep repeating.

Is anyone else having this problem? Customer Service said they never heard of this and 3 people at the T-Mobile where I bought the phone have tried different things including resetting my phone.  Nothing seems to get rid of this so called Monthly Test Alert.

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9360
My Carrier: T-mobile

Re: Emergency Alert Messages

I've gotten the same message once a day for the past several days.  Also on T-mobile.  have you yet found a resolution?

Contributor

No. When I called Customer Service they suggested resetting my phone.  I did a backup and reset, but that didn't work.  I've gone to the T-Mobile store where I bought it three times, but then haven't been able to get rid of it either.  We have been able to disable the ringing by disabling all sounds except for test messages, but I still get the messages.

The store manager suggested posting my problem to see if anyone else has had the problem and figured out what to do.  The only other suggestion was to replace my BB with another.

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9360
My Carrier: T-mobile

An odd solution, because from the sounds of it, it may not be an isolated problem.

Does anyone else care to weigh in here?  I'm short on ideas.  Apparently T-mobile is, too.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Rotary Phone

Have you downloaded any apps that require an "Emergency Alert Messages"?

Contributor

No.  Everything was fine until the software update that was sent out.  I started getting these alerts as soon as the update was finished.  The update even created as separate folder for the alerts.

Contributor

T-Mobile said that the update comes from Blackberry and that they only pass it along to end users.

I wonder if it's a regional thing? I live in Northeast US.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Rotary Phone

There was talk last year about, "Emergency Alert Messages" for Apple IOS6.  But nothing for BB that I knew of?

It was directed from the National Security Agency (NSA), but it was just talk.    Seems its now true?

New Contributor
My Device: Curve

I am having the same issue and T-Mobile is also my service provider.  T-Mobile has no idea of the origin of the messages, and provided zero help.  Blackberry although more helpful was useless too.  I disconnected the battery for a few minutes and haven't received a message in over 24 hours.  At this point it is still to early to see if it worked, but this has been the longest I've gone without one.  I'm hopefully because these messages are obnoxious.

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Emergency Alert Messages are a service offered by RIM and they entail exactly what they suggest.  If my information is correct (and I'm open to correction on this), they can be disabled in Options, however unless they're really getting in the way, I'd suggest leaving the app as is.  This was an initiative inspired by 9/11 and could serve an important purpose someday.

I hope that helps everyone.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.