Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Emergency Call

Does anyone know if you can remove the "emergency call" option from the unlock menu?  Twice now my phone has for some reason called 911 while in my holster.  Rather annoying.
Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Emergency Call

No, that is required by federal law now, as I recall.
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Ok then, is there a way to not lock the phone, but not worry about key presses (i.e. standby).  I know with other BB's, you could press the mute button to put it in standby, but that doesn't work with my Storm.
Developer

Something interesting a verizon person told me.
That all phone whether they are activated or not should still be able to dial 911 in US.
I told one once I was going to let my kid play with my old phone, he said just make sure that the battery is dead so she won't accidentally call 911.
So if you have an old phone and a grandma that doesn't have a cell, you could give her your old phone for 911 calls only.
You may want to test it first.
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi and welcome to the forums!

cortecds wrote:
Something interesting a verizon person told me.
That all phone whether they are activated or not should still be able to dial 911 in US.
I told one once I was going to let my kid play with my old phone, he said just make sure that the battery is dead so she won't accidentally call 911.
So if you have an old phone and a grandma that doesn't have a cell, you could give her your old phone for 911 calls only.
You may want to test it first.

Wow! I had switched from the Curve to the Storm, and deactivated the Curve from the carrier. (Verizon)

The Curve cannot call anyone or use data. I was shocked when I dialed 911 and it actually rang.

That is an excellent piece of information.

Thanks,

Bifocals

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Telus

Removing the 911 auto-call from the lock screen wouldn't violate any laws, but it would prevent needless calling.  I want to password protect my phone to PREVENT accidental calling, not make it more likely. 

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

galenkehler wrote:

Removing the 911 auto-call from the lock screen wouldn't violate any laws, but it would prevent needless calling.  I want to password protect my phone to PREVENT accidental calling, not make it more likely. 

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Actually, it all comes down to ones interpretation of the regulations, and those of course vary by jurisdiction (one country may have different rules than another). In the USA, the governing authority is the FCC, and they have these guidelines:

In speed reading it, I may have missed it, but I don't find anything explicit related to device lock and 911 calling. But, implicit in my interpretation is a requirement that a mobile device must always (when powered on, obviously) be able to dial 911. And my further interpretation is that means that if a device is locked, the lock must be able to be bypassed in order to dial 911.

Based on the implementation on BBs, I would infer therefore that BlackBerry has interpreted these regulations the same way that I have.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................