Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9930
My Carrier: Sprint

Enhanced Gmail Plugin 9930 w/OS7 - does it exist?

[ Edited ]

Just got a 9930 and it doesn't seem to include the Gmail plugin.  I setup Gmail successfully through BIS, but the menu features are not available, and the plugin does not show up in Options.  Is it available for the 9930, and if so, how do I install it?  If not, when will it be released?

Contributor

Re: Enhanced Gmail Plugin 9930 w/OS7 - does it exist?

So, since it's been a few days and no one has responded to this, I will ask a different question...

My understanding is that RIM is the developer for the Enhanced Gmail Plugin.  Thus, RIM needs to be the ones to answer the question of whether it exists in OS7 or if it will be developed.  It would seem a yes/no on this would be easy for someone from RIM.  I was under the impression that RIM folks monitored these forums, but perhaps not.  So, my question:  Does anyone know how to pose a question specifically to RIM support? 

For me, having this plugin is make-or-break for continuing to use BB.  The 9930 is a really nice device, but there's no way I will permanently move to it without adequate gmail support.

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Try this link for the best information:

Support for Enhanced Gmail plug-in for BlackBerry smartphones

Thanks,

Bifocals

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Contributor

Thanks for the response. I've searched all through that site and others. The documentation states it's available on OS4.5 and later. It was available for my Style and worked well. I expected it to be part of the standard install on the 9930. However, it's not there and I can't find anywere to get it. I'm beginning to believe RIM failed to update the plugin for OS7. If that's the case, FAIL.

My understanding is that BIS is actually outsourced by RIM, and they don't directly manage it. Between the so-so support for Gmail, and messages constantly being "truncated due to size", it's no wonder they are losing out to other platforms. (If you can't tell, I'm very frustrated by this gmail issue....)
New Developer
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: TELUS

It looks like the gmail plugin is built into os 7. Specifically after setting up my gmail account, in the messages folder when I menu-click on an email it gives me the gmail-plugin options. So I'm happy with that, but it's missing the filter option where you could look at a specific label. Any word on that...
Contributor

First, are you using a 9930?

The "filter" menu item is one of the primary things that the plugin provides for me. I, too, see "add star", "apply labels". and "archive". And besides missing the very important "filter" option, I've found that the way it handles sent mail is very poor.

If what is provided is the new "built in" support for gmail, then it a sorry substitute for the plugin.

Perhaps I need to resign myself to using the gmail app, and deleteing the gmail service book so that I don't continue to get BIS gmail (but continue to get calendar and contact sync). Not a very elegant way to do it....
Contributor

So, does anyone know...  is the "built-in" gmail support in OS7, lacking the "filter" (which lets you select which label you want to see) and lacking as well any usable "sent mail" management the go-forward solution presented by RIM?

The Tour and the Style, both of which had the "old" Enhanced Gmail Plugin, worked adequately for gmail.  This new solution is a big step backwards.

Not to sound belligerent... but is there anyone from RIM who can help with this question?  What good are these forums if it's just users "wandering in the dark" figuring out things by trial-and-error?  Come on, RIM.... have you given up supporting your users??!

Contributor

So... to, I suppose, put this to rest as best as I can without help from RIM...

I've looked everywhere to find any information about getting the plugin for the 9930 (OS7).  As far as I can tell, the plugin cannot be downloaded/installed directly to the device, and the one link that seemed to be moving in the right direction tells me the 9930 is an unsupported device.  Here's the link:

http://mobileapps.blackberry.com/devicesoftware/entry.do?code=googlemail&CPID=BISLITE

There's another direction to go.  It's from RIM's site, and it let's you send a link to the blackberry with a link that helps with Gmail integration.  Here's the page:

http://us.blackberry.com/smartphones/features/communication/gmail_download.jsp

Unfortunately, this is a severely broken link, returning a java error.  I can't seem to insert a screen shot, so here's a little bit of the text:

JBossWeb/2.0.1.GA Error report

HTTP Status 500 -

type exception report

description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented it from fulfilling this request

So... that doesn't work either.  I'm very surprised that RIM leaves this broken link intact.  I've seen forum threads referring to it from some time back.  RIM, how about fixing the link?

I've tried to think about various ways to adequately use Gmail on the 9930, but I can't see an elegant solution. 

Using the Google GMail app is pretty good, but has a few issues:

1)  Email delivery is delayed compared to BIS.  Maybe not terrible, but, you know, I'm paying for the BIS service and I'd like to take advantage of that feature.

2)  It's not as flexible when dealing with attachments or links.  For example, pictures in an email cannot be downloaded to the device.

3)  In order to sync Calendar and Contacts, you still have to setup BIS, which means emails will still be delivered.  Thus you will have two duplicate inboxes to deal with.

Using BIS has these problems:

1)  It doesn't manage sent mail very well at all.  The only way to view sent mail is to do an advanced search.  And, in that case, none of the emails are threaded. 

2)  You can't select labels to view.  This was possible with the old plugin.  Specifically it's missing the "Filter" option that was part of the plugin.

3)  It doesn't sync with what is done in other instances of gmail.  For example, with the plugin, if an email is deleted on the desktop, the delete is reconciled with the blackberry.  On the 9930 this does not happen.

4)  To look at old or archived emails on the device you have to look in blackberry folders, with includes a list of all the various folders that BB maintains.  It's not convenient to scroll through or manage.

A note regarding why GMail support is important:

Besides the obvious - that there are millions of gmail users and they want a good email experience on their mobile device - we all know that RIM has been losing market share to Android.  Every person who has used Android has a gmail account.  If RIM has any hope of winning back those Android users, the MUST adequately support gmail.  On this latest release of very nice hardware, they have fallen down on basic usability of what should be the one thing that BB should be the best at:  email. 

I will not be switching to the OS7 and beyond blackberry devices unless (or, more hopefully, until) RIM fixes support for gmail.

Contributor

Update:  Out of curosity, I tried to use mobileapps.blackberry.com site to download the Gmail Plugin to my 9670.  The site returned the message:

Sorry, your device does not meet the system requirements that are needed to support Enhanced Google Mail(TM) plug-in for BlackBerry® smartphones.

Now, that's a load of garbage because my 9670 already has the plugin installed and it works fine.  This leads me to believe that the process for obtaining the Plugin has been disabled by RIM, though why they would leave the site up is beyond me.  It truly is a frustration.

RIM... how about just letting us download and install the plugin via desktop manger?  Or, if you don't want to support it anymore, open-source it.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Telstra

Hi Thanks, but I have searched that link and can only find answer to how to add a star. My problem is that I cannot see the option in the menu. Where it should be according to the boards is only displaying Mark Unread, Apply Labels, Archive, Report Spam, Flag for FOllow Up, Save, Compose Email, Compose Other...

Add (and conversly Remove) Star is missing from the menu.