Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Reply
New Contributor
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎01-08-2010
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

Enter Key

hi, i have the Bold 9700 and i have a very simple question.

 

when composing SMS, pressing the Enter Key automatically "sends" the message. how do i disable this? i would like the Enter Key to be able to start a new line. or is there another key dedicated to do that?

 

thanks for anyone who could guide me on this one!

 

Posts: 94,517
Likes: 24,401
Solutions: 6,349
Registered: ‎04-01-2008
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Enter Key

You can't disable that. It is working as designed and intended.

 

The "enter" key sends the SMS. In an SMS, you don't need to create paragraph spacing with a "carriage return" or line break, which is what you are trying to do.

 

Perhaps with a later OS upgrade this might change, but for now... It is what it is.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV


1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎01-08-2010
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Enter Key

thanks. must be a bold thing. the pearl can create a new line with its enter key. 

 

 


JSanders wrote:

You can't disable that. It is working as designed and intended.

 

The "enter" key sends the SMS. In an SMS, you don't need to create paragraph spacing with a "carriage return" or line break, which is what you are trying to do.

 

Perhaps with a later OS upgrade this might change, but for now... It is what it is.


 

 

Posts: 94,517
Likes: 24,401
Solutions: 6,349
Registered: ‎04-01-2008
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Enter Key

Welcome... I think this is a new OS 5 with the threaded SMS "thing", and I sorta doubt we'll see the change back.

 

Perhaps an optional feature, we'll see.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV


1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
Posts: 10
Registered: ‎01-08-2010
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: O2

Re: Enter Key

Drives me nuts too - especially as it's so close to the delete key .... end up sending incomplete messages with stuff in that I'd decided not to say ...

New Contributor
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎01-09-2010
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-mobile

Re: Enter Key

[ Edited ]

Hi,

 

It's driving me nuts too! I also have the problem that the text-message is send without you checked it before and that the message isn't finished...

 

Also, when you write a whole textmessage and you press unfortunately the alt button and after that, backspace (because you made a mistake), it deletes all text. Is there anything to do about that? Or also just an annoying thing you have to deal with? :$

 

Thanks!

 

Btw: Don't know if you might have already figured it out, but when you press the Shift button and after that the Enter button, you can create that enter you were asking for. Unfortunately it takes two buttons, but it ís possible! =)

New Contributor
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎01-08-2010
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Enter Key

 


Anoukk wrote:

 

Btw: Don't know if you might have already figured it out, but when you press the Shift button and after that the Enter button, you can create that enter you were asking for. Unfortunately it takes two buttons, but it ís possible! =)


 

 

Thanks!

I tried shift then enter. It worked!

 

Thanks for the help, Anoukk! =)

New Contributor
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎01-09-2010
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-mobile

Re: Enter Key


cactuschair wrote:

  

Thanks!

I tried shift then enter. It worked!

 

Thanks for the help, Anoukk! =)


Your welcome! Glad I could help^^

New Member
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎01-31-2010
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Starhub Singapore

Re: Enter Key

Yes this a major problem especially for a business phone. Is it possible to confirm send before sending out SMS?

 

Thank you in advance for any help.

Super Contributor
Posts: 253
Registered: ‎01-24-2009
My Device: Blackberry Classic - 10.31.1779
My Carrier: Cyta-Vodafone (Cyprus)

Re: Enter Key

Hi all,

 

I used to have the same problem, I have just upgraded to OSv5.0.0.423 (platform 5.1.0.116)

 

If you go to Menu-SMS- press enter to send and click No that should solve your problem.

 

It did for me,

 

Regards

 

David

________________________________________________________________________________________________
Can you please click on the KUDOS star if this was helpful and click on Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.