Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Erratic data Services

I own a Blackbery Curve 8310 and am having issues with the data services in general. This includes both Internet and BB Messenger services, which erratically come on and off. Sometimes they work perfectly, and sometimes they don't work at all. This even happens when I have EDGE running. I have tried hard and softy resets, changing my SIM card, reinstalling the BB software and nothing seems to help. Last I heard from my service provider is that they don't know what could be causing the isue and would need at least three weeks in technical support. I can't go three weeks without my BB, what else can I try?

Thanks!!!

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Erratic data Services

[ Edited ]

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Go to connections and select Mobile network options click to enter and then menu key to  diagnostic test.

This will test your connections.

Also go to the regular options -status and click enter. On the screen type test, there is no place to enter it, it will start a diagnostic test, I would check all tests to be sure.especially your RF antenna test.

This should give you a good picture of the hardware.

Thanks,

While in the Options Status, write down the file free and file total numbers as well as Dbm and battery charge.

Message Edited by Bifocals on 10-17-2008 04:19 PM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor

Thank you very much for your quick reply and for your welcome to the forums!!!

I ran the diagnostics test and the result was the following (I erased the PIN number for privacy reasons):

Starting Time Stamp: October 17, 2008 4:14 PM
Ending Time Stamp: October 17, 2008 4:14 PM
PIN: XXXXXXXXXX
MSISDN:  Unknown
Device Type: BlackBerry 8310
Application Version: v4.2.2.146
Platform Version: 2.5.0.16
Service Books: MMS,WAPPushConfig,WPTCP,WPTCP,BrowserConfig,YHO,BBIMConfig,IPPP,BrowserConfig,BBIMConfig,BBIMConfig,BrowserConfig,BBIM,BBIM,BrowserConfig,IPPP,PROVISIONING,BBIM,KEYNEGO
Free File Space: 19525032 bytes
Radio Data Activation: Yes
Signal Level: -72 dBm
Radio Access: EDGE
Network: movistar
IP Address: 10.35.2.9
ICMP Ping Echo: No
BlackBerry Registration: No
Connected to BlackBerry: No
BlackBerry PIN Email: No

At the same time, I ran it on a friends' BB on the same network, nad they received YES on: BlackBerry Registration, Connected to BlackBerry, and BlackBerry PIN Email.

I tried running the second test, but the BB tries to make a phone call which doesn't work properly. What is the RF antenna test and how do I conduct it?

Finally, my current status is: File free: 19538484bytes, file total 54919168, 85% battery, and dMB -76.

Again, thanks for all your help!!!

Guru I

Hi,

Your signal strength is low -72db is not good. It's a 35 to 45 would be pretty good.

You might pause here, and go to OPTIONS - ADVANCED OPTIONS - HOST ROUTING TABLES click to enter, press menu key, and select RESIGSTER NOW.

You will then get a verification email, and new service books. Wait 20min. And do the 1minute battery pull with the phone on.

Replace the battery and leave it reboot for 5 minutes. You should now be registered and have the latest service books.

Go to Options status, type the word test again, notice this time you can select tests. Just select the RF Antenna.

Your memory is fine, but you need to be registered.

Let me know how it worked after you register it.

Thanks

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

New Contributor

I ran the RF test and the signal is between, -70 and -80, definitely not good. However, the data services on other BB's here work perfectly, while mine continues to come on and off. I re-ran the diagnostics test while the data services were working and all the registration info came back positive. I'm guessing that there might be something that turns this feature on and off on mine, as it comes and goes. Thanks!!!
Guru I

Hi, if possible I would get a new phone, as I suspect the hardware to be faulty.

You could wipe the device and reload the software, but that won't guarantee a fix.

Let me know what you would like to do.

Thanks