Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers
Accepted Solution

Error Message "An error has occurred during an attempt to access a file on the computer"

I'm getting this error message when I try to sync my contacts from my outlook to my device:

"An error has occurred during an attempt to access a file on the computer"

I'm using the new desktop version 7.0.0.43

Any ideas?

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810

Re: Error Message "An error has occurred during an attempt to access a file on the computer"

Be thankful that it did this, Melissa.

DM v.7.0.43 is an unmitigated disaster AFAICT.

Make certain that Outlook is not running. Shut it down if it is. Check the PROCESSES list in TASK MANAGER to ensure that OUTLOOK.EXE is not in the processes list. If it is, right-click on it and then L-C END PROCESS TREE..

Uninstall DM v7.0.43 using CONTROL PANEL. Do not remove user preferences.

Re-install v6.1.B38 (available here: https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads/contactFormPreload.do?code=577BCC914F9E55D5E4E4F82F9F00... if you don't have it on your PC). SAVE this file before installing it.

You should not have to restart your computer to do any of this. I didn't.

Outlook and your BB should now sync OK.

Depending on your PC configuration and what other s/w is running, you may have to restart your PC.

Another poster here lost all their Outlook data with v.7.x. But that is the only case of total data loss I have seen from this abysmal excuse for an upgrade. Mostly, it just doesn't work ...

BR, JK

New Contributor

Re: Error Message "An error has occurred during an attempt to access a file on the computer"

When I try to uninstall it, I get the following error:

Error 2738 Could not access VBScript run time for custom action.

Contributor

G'day again Melissa

What version of Windows are you running?

64 or 32 bit?

You may have to reboot your PC before attempting the uninstall.

BR, JK

New Contributor

I'm running Vista Entreprise 32 bit

Contributor

Melissa

I loathe Vista, sorry. I have never allowed any of my computer clients to install it. I do have some running W7 Pro, which appears to be as stable and fast as WinXP Pro.

I use WinXP Pro on all my PCs except my primary domain controller, which is still using WinNT4 Server ...

Several friends of mine are also running Vista & V. Enterprise. Their PCs are slow by comparison with even far older h/w running XP Pro. Nothing I have been able to do makes their machines faster than this, even though I did manage to get them running faster than a dog with three broken legs, which was how they were running  when I first encountered them.

So I really cannot be much help with Vista. I am just not familiar enough with it.

There are other threads on the front page of this topic that recommend various registry cleaners. However, you should be very careful with anything that is not specifically recommended. Some of these products are just viral. One of them stopped one of the above-mentioned Vista PCs from accessing anything but their site, where you could download the "fix" from them - for a fee, of course. I fixed that 'interesting' denial of service attack ...

New Contributor

No problem at all.  I appreciate your help.  I finally resolved the problem by perfoming the following:

Run the following via CMD line:

reg delete "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{B54F3741-5B07-11CF-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}" /f

Then, run the following via CMD line:

c:\windows\system32\regsvr32 vbscript.dll

Uninstall worked after that and I have reinstalled the version you suggested.

Highlighted
Contributor

Gidday Melissa

Good to hear that you figured it out yourself. Well done!

Glad you are up and running again.

BR, JK