Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Exporting Encrypted Photo's - Advice needed

Hi - I just got a new 8900 which was locked down by my corporate BES policy to encrypt the contents of my microSD card. I took several important photo's during a site visit and then discovered that they were all held as .jpg.rem files.

Given I needed to get the photo's off for inclusion in a report, my IT Stazi were persuaded to let me install Blackberry desktop manager  and to unlock mass stroage mode. They did so by pushing me a more open policy which not only unlocked the mass storage mode but turned off encryption on the card. I tested this by taking a couple of pic's in my opffice and they are now saved as straight ".jpg's".

Now what I see when I launch Roxio media manager is a pictures folder which still has a lot of .jpg.rem's and a couple of .jpgs. I can preview the site photo's on the Blackberry but cannot get any preview of them in Roxio and cannot get them to copy to my PC using Roxio. The straight JPGs copy over perfectly via Roxio or via Windows Explorer.

I wonder am I a victim of too much success with Roxio thinking it's working in unencrypted mode (from the current policy setting) and so refusing to deal with the .rem files it does find? 

I read elsewhere that re-activating encryption on the memory card will only lead the Berry to re-encrypt the entire SD card including re-encrypting the .rem encrypted files and rendering them totally inaccessible. Is this true?

Lastly, anyone know how I can get around this one way or another?. I just cannot afford to lose the pic's since they relate to a European project and visit which I really cannot afford to lose.

Solutions: 6,361
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Exporting Encrypted Photo's - Advice needed

Normally, for the "rem" encrypted photos, you must replace the media card in the devcie in which the encryption was enabled, in order to turn off the encryption, and thus remove the "rem" encryption.

So, I don't know this, but I wonder, if you must have the original BES policy back in place to turn off encryption on the photos, first?

Your BES Admin might need to inquire here in the BES section for advice on any settings on their end.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Exporting Encrypted Photo's - Advice needed

[ Edited ]

Found a solution based on the thinking outlined by the previous poster - THANKS !!

If you find yourself in a similar situation AND you have the same microSD in the same Berry with the same password set;

Just use your new found policy freedom to re-activate device encryption on the media card and (if necessary) tick the check box to ensure media files are encrypted.

I backed up my ".jpg.rem" files as a precaution before doing this but when I restarted my Berry and reconnected to Roxio, "lo and behold" the photo files were recognised properly and could be copied over to the PC emerging as standard unencrypted JPG files. So it looks like I was right about Roxio taking it's instruction on whether to look for encrypted files based on the device/policy settings. Maybe it thought that since my Berry wasn't using encryption I must have stolen the pictures from someone else (lol!!).

Anyhow, I have now turned the encryption back off and re-formatted the memory card. Photo's are now being saved as native JPGs on the Berry and the problem should not trouble me again.

Hope this helps someone else. I would suggest that you proceed with caution if you are in a similar situation but have changed micro SD cards, altered your berry password etc..

I suspect that I may just have gotten lucky this time!

Message Edited by baldrick45 on 07-07-2009 12:06 PM