Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: blackberry torch 9800
My Carrier: t-mobile uk

Re: Extend your Torch battery life even longer!

I tried that and it made battery life much better but after having a 8520 I just hate slow speeds
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

A media card full of songs and pictures will take a long time to generate the thumbnails and song playlist, possibly making it slow up first use.

Also compression can make a device sluggish, to turn it off go to options, device, storage turn off compresion.

Older apps transfered to the device with Device switcher can cause issue if not compatable with OS 6 or 7. On device go to Options, Device, Application Management is a great way to see what your apps are doing with your CPU usage on #Torch. Just slide top bar to CPU and see what is going on. Also touch the CPU menu to see other time variables. I found out that an app was eating away CPU cycles on mine

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
My Device: torch9800
My Carrier: communication engineer

thank u for ur advice , i tried wat u said , but wanna 2 ask , i tested zat in standby mode and i found zat i still have 30 % remaining after a 24 hours in standby ( no bbm , no recive and make calls ,,,,) iz zat good ?
New Contributor
My Device: touch 9810
My Carrier: 0733024576

Ok try decreasing ur backlight display. Go to setup » options » display » screen display and change backlight brightness to 30 and timeout tl 30 second. Tick automatic dimm
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9860
My Carrier: Vodaphone

Informative, helpful comments to get me going on 'extending' the dismal battery life on my 9860, after fully charged and without use the battery dropped to 35% in around 6 hours! What the heck! It was on standby with no display! What's the best anyone has achieved after carrying out most of the above recommendations? Also, just getting accustomed to the BB setup, few queries: 1. What is the quickest way to check and turn off any 'phantom' background apps? 2. When connected to home wifi, does the browser use the network carrier or piggyback on the home wifi while browsing? How can I check?
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

I would guess you tried a cold re-start with the phone...?  This is done by removing the battery for about 10 seconds and then putting it back.

I have my backlight set to 90 seconds for its time out. I have the brightness set to 60%. Some of my friends are using 60 seconds for the time out and use 40% for the brightness.

I was reading in a news group that some of the interactive games, and programs that monitor services will usually consume more battery energy.

If you leave any applicatioins open instead of closing them, this will use more battery power. When leaving an applicatoin make sure you go out with the escape key, and not the red stop key. If the program prompts for an exit, use the exit to go out.

I had a Blackberry Tour that was going through the battery very fast. After trying everything, I found out the battery itself was going defective. There was nothing wrong with the phone. Changing the battery fixed the problems.

In the Blackberry phone there is no task manager service. You can see what is active by holding down the menu key. The active programs will show. On my phone, the present active programs are Home, Blackberry Messanger, Google Maps, Kcast, Browser, Phone, and Email.

I am doing a lot of email, some web work, and a fair number of calls every day. I also have Kcast constantly active. The battery is about 50% down by the end of a full day of work if I don't charge it up from time to time. The Lithium battery used in these phones is not supposed to have battery-memory problems as like the old NiCad batteries.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
New Contributor

i made apn enabled (selected) , and i have a wondrfull effect , it wasnt selected and i select it , so who it comes? the battery now remains not less2 days , i dont know what is apn , thank u wirded , please explain more because i cant understand wat happend according 2 wat u said it must be drained not remaind charged!!

New Contributor

i made apn enabled (selected) , and i have a wondrfull effect , it wasnt selected and i select it , so who it comes? the battery now remains not less2 days , i dont know what is apn , thank u wirded , please explain more because i cant understand wat happend according 2 wat u said it must be drained not remaind charged!!

New Contributor

i switched apn enabled on , the battery became much better it lasts for 2 days now , plz wat iz apn ? note zat i switched apn enabled  due 2 advice in the bb community plz reply 2 me fast

KerriB wrote:

See below on how to get the most out of your BlackBerry Torch!

BlackBerry’s are very customizable, giving you the ability to fit it into your lifestyle.

How to:

-          On your BlackBerry Torch home screen, type “brightness”, click the options (wrench) icon, click Screen Display.

-          Adjust your Backlight Brightness to 30 and your Backlight Timeout to 20 seconds

-          Ensure “Automatically Dim Backlight” is selected. Click menu button, Save.

For more amazing tips follow @BlackBerryHelp on Twitter or check out this article with lots of helpful battery saving tips.

^KB

Community Manager

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

The link below explains some basics about APN (Access Point Name), and why it is required.

http://www.blackberrytune.com/how-to-configure-the-apn-settings-on-blackberry/

If you are running some software, such as one that tracks stock prices, or a software that requires some type of streaming to keep itself updated, you will need APN.

In some cases, if APN is dissabled, the mobile device will not be able to stream videos, or music. This is especially with 3G and 4G services. 

Jerry G.

Jerry G.