Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Visitor
My Device: torch 9860
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Extend your Torch battery life even longer!

I've had my new torch 9860 for a week now and I'm appalled at how quickly the battery drains. It doesn't even last a couple of hours if I make a 2 min call and send a few bbms. My htc desire hd at least used to last 24hrs with the same amount of usage. I've followed all the tips and its still useless, even though I've gone to the lowest possible options for energy savings. Its making me consider returning it for an htc! I really don't want to fork out money for another battery so I can keep a spare with me but I can't see another way around this problem. Where can I even buy a battery?
Highlighted
Super Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900 and 9700
My Carrier: Taiwan mobile

Jerry, I have a bold and am getting horrible battery life - 6 to 7 hours with medium usage.

I just want to undwrstand more about the APN setting (essentially the same thing for bold/Torch) - there are two areas which we need to click - 1) the APN itself; 2) the authentication, where they ask for user name and password.

Should I click both? If so, and I entered 'guest' (couldn't find my carrier Taiwan Mobile's info from the table in the link provided) for user name/password then hit Save upon exiting the menu, the phone just accepts it.

My questions are:

- do I need to enable both options?
- if so, under authentication, how do I know if they accept my user name / password or not?

I have left the name/password blank and have entered 'Guest', the phone didn't provide any error message either time.
Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

[ Edited ]

I am on the BELL service in Canada. I can only tell you based on my location and with the policies from the carrier that I am using.  I have to log in with a name and password. 

You should be able to go to the Application World Page with your computer and create an account. Once done, you should be okay to log in with the phone or your computer and manipulate, or download the Blackberry programs concerning your phone. 

I use this link for Application World:  http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/   On the upper right is the prompt to register. It is located next to the login command. After registering, you should be able to log in from the phone. 

If this does not work for you, I would suggest for you to call the tech support for your carrier, or directly to the Blackberry support people. 

As for the rate of battery discharge during use, the more applications that are active, the greater the rate of battery usage. If the phone is accessing a lot of data very often such as having many email accounts being monitored, or if you are doing a lot of web browsing, this uses more power. I found streaming videos and heavy use of the GPS application uses the batteries at a much faster rate. Talking on the phone is also a heavy power usage. 

When the phone is in a weaker reception area the rate of power consumption is also higher because the transmitter section of the phone has to put out a higher power of signal. 

Some tips for power savings in the phone:

• Set the screen brightness to a lower level. The dimmer the better for lower battery usage. I use about 60%. 
  • Turn off the Bluetooth and WiFi feature when it is not required. 
  • Avoid having applications opened in the background if applicable. 
  • Use less email accounts. You can set the phone up with a few, and have your email service use forwarding to one or two email accounts. 
  • Make phone conversations as short as possible when applicable. 

Battery drain is a common problem with these types of phones. Some types are worse than others. They use very advanced and sophistacated systems, and require a fair amount of power. 

I carry a spare phone charger with me, and also an extra USB cable. When I am in my office, I recharge the phone from my PC. I also have a charger in my car. Because I am a very heavy user, I keep topping up the charge through the coarse of the day. 

Just for you to know... I am a user of some Blackberry products, and I have a technical background. I do not work for Blackberry or the telephone carrier. I am giving some advice as a contribution to this forum. 

Jerry G. 

Jerry G.
Super Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900 and 9700
My Carrier: Taiwan mobile

Thanks Jerry for the info.

I understand that you dont work for RIM, just that you sound like you have way more knowledge than I do therefore I wanted to see if you can help. Thank you again.

Regarding the BB Apps World vs APN, I believe they are two different things, no?

I can't use Apps World's ID/password as the Phone Device's APN ID/Password setting, can I.

Sorry if I wasn't so clear in the beginning. 

Forums Advisor III

Now I understand better. 

For some APN info, visit: http://www.blackberrytune.com/how-to-configure-the-apn-settings-on-blackberry/

Another interesting info site for APN:  http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/What_are_the_TCP_and_APN_settings%3F

It looks like you have to log in something like as on a regular DSL system. you require the login name, password, and sometimes a hard IP, or they may usually supply the DHCP. 

With the carrier I use, the phone comes configured for their system access for the internet and emails. 

I hope this helps you out.

Jerry G. 

Jerry G.
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: att

I'd like to know how to turn off all the running apps easier
Forums Advisor III

After using any software in the phone, if possible close or exit the application. Generally speaking, if you get out using the red or stop key, with most applications this allows the program to still keep running in the background.

The best way out is to see if there is an exit prompt, or in many programs you can end them by pressing the excape key which is the white loop-back key next to the red stop key.

An easy way to make sure there are no extra programs running in the background is to do a re-set of the phone. This is a crude way to manage the phone if a re-set is not required.

When I don't require WiFi, or Bluetooth I leave them turned off. It only takes a few extra seconds to turn these on or off.

I found my phone is not lasting as long between battery charges as it used to when I first bought it. My habbits are about the same. I ordered a new battery for it.  I am sure this will fix the problem.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: att

Thank you Jerry.  I have learned a couple of new things thanks to you.  I have been exiting apps wrong and had no idea. 

I appreciate your help

Luckyladyy

Forums Advisor III

When I had my first Blackberry going back to the days before they were in color display, they were very limited. I remember when leaving applications active the battery drain was worse than of today. These phones were using NiCad batteries. Lithium batteries were very expensive and mainly used in high end industry.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

No one has mentioned turning off the mobile network, I can get a couple more hours battery life by clicking all off under manage connections and only turning on what I want , when I want. I have also resorted to turning off data if I know I won't be able to charge my phone during the day. This phone is not really an upgrade in technology. I remember the days when I charged my phone once a week.