Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: FREEDOM UNIVERSAL KEYBOARD 2

I have actually googled everything I can think of and can't find a solution.  I also tried pairing my partner's Curve and it won't pair either.
Forums Veteran III
My Device: Classic 10.3.2.798 OS + Playbook 64Gb

Guess maybe it's time to try this link from the keyboard's web page:

Warranty Terms:
1 year warranty

To report an error or provide feedback about this product information, please click here.  
IrwinII
Please remember to "Accept as Solution" the post which solved your thread. If I or someone else have helped you, please tell us you "Like" what we had to say at the bottom right of the post.
New Contributor

I Bought the keyboard through the Blackberry Owners Lounge, downloaded the drivers and linked the Bluetooth without difficulty.  The keyboard is very nice.  Then I ran into a brick wall when looking for the Keystroke Injection in the Modules.

First, the btkbdx4 module didn't show up, but the Freedom KB did.

The edit permissions worked and the interactions did as well.

But the Keystroke Injection, just wasn't there.  There was a note saying that if this wasn't there,"Note: Does not work on BES without administrative permission. Please consult with your IT Administrator before purchasing this product if you plan to use this device with your company email."

My issue with that is that is that I don't have an IT Administrator, since the Blackberry Storm isn't linked to a company email account.

So, I tried the http://freeedom.helpserve.com without much success.

This might take some action on the part of Blackberry to resolve the recognition of the keystroke issue.

If not, then the the unit will get returned.

I would suggest that potential purchasers of this unit give some serious consideration regarding the ability to connect to the Blackberry 9530 operating under v4.7.0.148 before making the purchase.

New Contributor

I bought the keyboard through the Blackberry Owners Lounge, downloaded the drivers and linked the Bluetooth without difficulty.  The keyboard is very nice. 

Then I ran into a brick wall when looking for the Keystroke Injection in the Modules. First, the btkbdx4 module didn't show up, but the Freedom KB did.The edit permissions worked and the interactions did as well. But the Keystroke Injection, just wasn't there. 

There was a note saying that if this wasn't there,"Note: Does not work on BES without administrative permission. Please consult with your IT Administrator before purchasing this product if you plan to use this device with your company email." My issue with that is that is that I don't have an IT Administrator, since the Blackberry Storm isn't linked to a company email account. 

So, I tried the freedom-helpserve-com site without much success. This might take some action on the part of Blackberry to resolve the recognition of the keystroke issue. If not, then the the unit will get returned. 

I would suggest that potential purchasers of this unit give some serious consideration regarding the ability to connect to the Blackberry 9530 operating under v4.7.0.148 before making the purchase.

My Device: blackberry world edition
My Carrier: verizon

I was having the same problem and found the solution online at: http://freedom.helpserve.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=76 the info is pasted below.

This worked for me, hopefully it will work for others as well.

Good luck, Joe D

“Drivers not support by this keyboard” error message on a BlackBerry

When using a Universal Keyboard² this error message doesn’t mean that you have installed the wrong drivers. What has happened is either you haven’t paired the keyboard or the SPP services have not installed correctly.

Below are instructions to help you pair the keyboard to a BlackBerry and to check if the SPP services are correctly installed.

1) Switch the keyboard on in SPP mode (little switch needs to go to the left).

2) On the BlackBerry go to “Options” (sometimes this could also be “Settings” depending on which theme you use) and then go to “Bluetooth”.

3) If Bluetooth is disabled you will need to select the “Menu” button and “Enable”.

4) If the Freedom Keyboard is in the list of paired device already then skip to step 6.

5) Press the “Menu” button and then select "Add Device" and “Search”. Once it has completed searching a list will appear, select the Freedom Keyboard from the list and when asked to enter a Numeric Passkey type in 0000(four zeros) on the BlackBerry. Now the keyboard will be under the paired devices list.

6) Highlight the Freedom Keyboard in the list then press the “Menu” button and select “Device Properties”.

7) Check to see if under Services it says SPP slave or Serial Port, if it doesn't then press the “Menu” button and select “Refresh Service List”.

8) SPP Slave or Serial Port should appear under Services.

9) Press the “Back” button and “Save” any changes if requested.

This is the keyboard paired and SPP services installed correctly and you will now be able to go back to the keyboard’s drivers and activate the keyboard.

My Device: blackberry world edition
My Carrier: verizon

go to http://freedom.helpserve.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=76

for the solution, it just worked for me.  Good luck, Joe D

My Device: Storm 9530
My Carrier: Verizon

I have a Blackberry Storm but have not been able to pair it with the freedom 2 universal keyboard.  I've attempted the various fixes but so far haven't been able to get them to pair.

Any ideas what to do?

New Contributor
My Device: bold 9700
My Carrier: at&t

Hi, I am new I tried posting my questions in another area with no sucess. I have a blackb. Bold 9700. I have been trying pair my new keyboard to it for 3 wks. Now along with trying to resolve the issue with freedom, all with no sucess. I was unaware anyone actually did business in this fashion. They will not answer my emails or call me. If anyone could help me with either of these I would appreciate it.
Forums Veteran III
My Device: Classic 10.3.2.798 OS + Playbook 64Gb

Hi and welcome to the forums! Smiley Happy

A couple of places for you to visit: Blackberry 101    Tips & Tricks

Take a look at this thread   Freedom Universal Keyboard

There is a fair amount of discussion in that thread as well as various device configurations.  Perhaps something there will help one of the posters here.  If nothing else, there is a contact to a Universal tech manager.

Let us know how it goes and happy to have you here! Smiley Very Happy

IrwinII
Please remember to "Accept as Solution" the post which solved your thread. If I or someone else have helped you, please tell us you "Like" what we had to say at the bottom right of the post.
Highlighted
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

What model keyboard do you have?  Freedom has produced several different models, all of which require different drivers and unlocking procedures. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!