Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Facebook App v3.3 Error - HELP!

I have a Torch 9800. I tried to upgrade earlier today to the new Facebook App v3.3. I rebooted my phone when prompted, and when my phone started up there was an Error message that said something about java.lang. Now my Facebook app is gone, and Blackberry App World will not open. I tried rebooting again, but the same thing happens. I also tried to install the Facbook app from App World online, and it says installation failed. What do I do now? Thank You!
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Facebook App v3.3 Error - HELP!

one step at a time.
what happens when you click on the AppWorld icon ?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

Thank you for replying. I hope you can help. When I click on the App World icon now absolutely nothing happens.
Guru I

are you sure it is the App World icon ? Has it ever worked ?

Do you have a BlackBerry data plan ? Is it written "3G" and not "3g" in the top right corner of your home screen, with a small BlackBerry logo?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

Yep, everything was working just fine. I got an App World notification for a Facebook upgrade, so I went to App World and started the upgrade. After it was done it prompted me to reboot, like it usually does after some upgrades, and I did the reboot. When my phone came back on, right away there was an error msg that popped up. It said "Uncaught Exception java.lang.error" And that's when I noticed my icons had all shifted, because the Facebook App icon was gone. So I tried to go back to App World, but I touch it and click on it and it just refuses to open now. The only place I could even find the Facebook App was listed in Application Management, so I deleted it. Then I went to Facebook.com on my browser and tried to download the app again, and it took me to App World online, instead of through the actual app, but the Facebook App downloaded, and again I got the same error msg "Uncaught Exception java.lang.error". So, I deleted the Facebook App again, but for some reason App World will not open. (And yes, we have a data plan, and yes, "3G" is at the top. We've had these phones for almost 2 years, and nothing like this has ever happened.)
Highlighted
Guru I

thank you for your detailed description.
here is what I would do if I had the same on my side :

1) uninstall facebook, reboot
2) uninstall Appworld, reboot
3) do a battery pull
4) see if the "java.lang.error" still appears after a reboot. If yes, then you maybe still have another third party app to delete.

once the java.lang.error does not appear anymore :
5) install AppWorld, reboot, battery pull.
6) the java.lang.error should not appear anymore, and you should be able to enter the AppWorld and log in.
7) install FB 3.3 again
8) success.