Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Telus

Facebook Places Torch 9800

So i've seen all the posts about people saying that Facebook Places is not working for them, but i'm not sure what they mean by not working so rather than contributing to a post that is rather vague I thought I would outline very specifically what my problem was and how it relates to my device and see if anyone else is having this problem.

Device Info

BlackBerry 9800

6.0 Bundle 695 (v6.0.0.246, Platform

3G Bands 1,2,5,6

Carrier: Telus

Blackberry App World

This is a personal blackberry no BES

So my problem with Places on the facebook app has to do with how the app seems to be interacting with the API for blackberry maps. When I fire up blackberry maps the torch starts off with the broad 3km range circle as it waits to acquire more satellites. As the satellites are acquired the position narrows in.

How does this relate to Facebook Places? glad you asked.

It seems that when places first fires up it makes the initial request to the BBMaps API and gets the broad 3km range circle and then stops. It never refines the location, so maybe this isn't so much a problem with the facebook app as it is with the Maps API.

No matter how long I wait the initial map locaiton for Facebook Places remains the one that it grabbed from BBMaps when Facebook Places loaded.

Gary Townsend

Woodlands Information Management Developer

Canadian Forest Products Ltd.

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Facebook Places Torch 9800

So I found a workaround for the problem I mentioned above. By using http;//touch.facebook.com it was able to pull my location correctly.

So for now problem solved but it obviously still needs work
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800

It seems like I'm having the same problem as you. I'm using the Torch and I'm on Telus too.

I noticed that the Maps app in my BlackBerry starts off always with the 3 KM range. Facebook Places tries to use that as well.

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It's really random.

Have you found a proper fix?

New Contributor
My Device: Torch9800/USA
My Carrier: MTCTOUCH

Same problem