Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

Facebook double notifications

Ok, I know this has been posted multiple times but I still have yet to find a concrete answer on how to fix this problem.

So... On the old FB app for BB there was an option that kept emails to your mailbox and the only notification you would receive on your phone would be the actual FB notification. 

Now...On the new version of FB for BB they have taken that option out and now when someone writes on your wall, messages you, etc. You receive two notifications one on your email and one as a FB notification in your messages. 

Is there a way to only receive the FB notification under messages on your BB and get the email but for the email to be kept in the mailbox and not receive it on your phone like on the old version of FB for BB?

Thanks a lot guys, any help would be greatly appreciated Smiley Happy

New Contributor

Re: Facebook double notifications

currently, theres no solid way of doing this. RIM haven't said anything. I emailed the support email it gave in the App World, but god knows how long it'll be before i get a reply.

the only way at the moment is to put a filter on your email, so they're not sent to your blackberry but you still receieve them on your pc. i'm not even really sure on how to do this, and i've also heard from some users, keeping email notifications and the facebook app notifications turned on at the same time can cause problems - meaning you might not recieve any notifications in some cases.

i kept mine both on for a few days, and all i got was double notifications.

currently, the only info RIM has given is you can either turn off all email notifications or stop notifications on your blackberry - which is pretty annoying since stopping the app notifications defeats the point in having it. i know the app updates are extremely quick, but i don't get why RIM didn't think a lot of users would like to have both. i'm even tempted to just use Facebook.com on my phone and forget the app until they update it. Smiley Mad

New Contributor
My Carrier: Rogers

Yea really it seems with this update that you can either have double notifications (email, and FB app), you can have no notifications at all, or get rid of email notifications entirely and just rely on your FB app to give you all the notifications. 

And the filter idea seems to confusing and I would be too lazy to try and figure it out.

But yea if they send you an email back let me know what they say, Thanks a lot

My Device: Blackberry Curve 8530
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

Found this on crackberry.  It works!  I did it tested it and everything...

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=5521815#post5521815

here is a quote of the post:

"hey bb fans! yes there is a solution. just follow these steps:

1. Install the FB V1.8 and log in
2. Click on menu and select Options
3. Scroll down to FACEBOOK NOTIFICATIONS
4. Check the box which says FACEBOOK NOTIFICATIONS
5. Scroll down and click on TURN OFF ALL FACEBOOK EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS

once you follow these steps, just save and refresh your feeds. It will work!

When you turn off all facebook email notifications, it shuts email notifications and only allows the fb app to push notifications to you phone."

HTH

New Contributor
My Device: 9800 torch
My Carrier: at&t

every time i click on "turn off all facebook email notifications" it says "there was an error sending notification settings.  please try again later."  i've been trying again later for a week already and it never works.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I think the notifications are now (v.1.8.0.49) coming directly from Facebook and you don't need the emails any more to get them- it's just ON or OFF on the BB app. So if your emails are turned on as well that's why it's doubling up.

What's really annoying me is that it doesn't give you any choice over which notifications you get. i only want messages and wall posts but at the moment I have to have every stupid event or comment also coming through to my phone.

I really hope they give some more options in the next version.

Anyone have a link to downgrade to 1.7?