Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Blackberry 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

Fail to connect to email accounts after software upgrade/downgrade

I own a Torch 9800.

I am in Toronto, Canada

I am with Rogers Wireless, phone is locked to Rogers.

On Saturday I decided to do a software update Version 6.0 Bundle 2647. After waiting 2 hours the update finishes and I play around with it and notice third party app Whatsapp is failing to load. I do a few hard resets, uninstall/re-install Whatsapp still not working. So I decided to downgrade the update.

Another 2 hours passed, and the downgrade finishes. When i click the Messages icon, it tells me "No message services configured. You will be redirected to the Setup Wizard to setup your email account."

It takes me to a screen which lists the email accounts I have registered to my BB. I type the password in for each one, click "Verify" and get the error "Sorry, unable to continue your session. Please log in again"

I have been getting this error since Sat, every time.

Does anyone know why this is?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Fail to connect to email accounts after software upgrade/downgrade

Hi and Welcome to the Community!!

I suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network

2) Delete and Resend Service Books

• KB05000Delete the service book for the BlackBerry Internet Service email account from the BlackBerry smartphone
  • KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service

3) Batt Pull Reboot

• Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Hopefully that will get things going again for you! If not, then you should try deleting and re-adding your BIS configurations for the affected email accounts.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor
My Device: blsckberry curve 9330
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

i have a blackbery curve 9330 and have the same problem.  i tried your procedure and it didnt work for me.  The one thing i had difficulty with was "deleting blackberry internet email service book" - i did delete blackberry internet browsing service which says it is for internet browser and not email, registered my device and got them back..  FYI - as a matter of fact i could find no service books for email service and i suspect that is why im down. Any insight you can provide would be most helpful.

<removed>

EDIT: Personal Information such as e-mail is prohibited for your security. Please review User Guidelines  under section "Be careful."

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

wsepe2001 wrote:

i have a blackbery curve 9330 and have the same problem.  i tried your procedure and it didnt work for me.  The one thing i had difficulty with was "deleting blackberry internet email service book" - i did delete blackberry internet browsing service which says it is for internet browser and not email, registered my device and got them back..  FYI - as a matter of fact i could find no service books for email service and i suspect that is why im down. Any insight you can provide would be most helpful.

<removed>

EDIT: Personal Information such as e-mail is prohibited for your security. Please review User Guidelines  under section "Be careful."

Hi there,

I see you are on Verizon...there are some reports in these forums of problems for VZW users that manifest in this manner. But, did you perform an OS update perhaps? That is reported to be one of the causes. Further, is it that you have no email setup icon at all? Or something else? The reports are getting very specific in what is causing the.

But, as workaround, others have recommended the following addendum to what I posted above:

Using your BlackBerry browser...

• Go to mobile.blackberry.com
• Scroll down to Communication and then to Email.
• Choose the appropriate email set up options.

Hopefully that will get things going for you!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

yes i did a operating system upgrade and then this problem developed.  Went to email setup icon and when entering the data, and clicking validate, i had a session timeout and was told to relogin and try again.

I Tried your workaround by going to mobile,blackberry.com and entered comm, email, setup and recieved the error that the communication server was busy and to try again - i have been getting this error for the past 24 hrs.

I was able to use my bb browser via my pda to see my mail but i cant get my email to come to my device like it did before.

In looking at my service books, what is the name of the service book for email?

also, under the host routing table one of the 100's of entries is highlighted in bold - would this be a indication of trouble perhaps?

also, is there any way i can undo this whole upgrade and revert back to what i had?

thanks for your assistance

Hall of Famer III

wsepe2001 wrote:

also, is there any way i can undo this whole upgrade and revert back to what i had?

Unfortunately, the reports we've seen here indicate that this problem is happening for many VZW folks who upgrade or downgrade their device OS level, so I'd suspect that there is "no way back" for you at this point. But...

wsepe2001 wrote:

I Tried your workaround by going to mobile,blackberry.com and entered comm, email, setup and recieved the error that the communication server was busy and to try again - i have been getting this error for the past 24 hrs.

So, you already knew about and have been trying the workaround for the last 24 hours, with the "server busy" result? If so, that will be new information indeed to those who are tracking this. Please confirm.

wsepe2001 wrote:

In looking at my service books, what is the name of the service book for email?

It varies by email service provider, as described in the KB linked above (for deleting it).

wsepe2001 wrote:

also, under the host routing table one of the 100's of entries is highlighted in bold - would this be a indication of trouble perhaps?

Perhaps...did the HRT register succesfully (i.e., did you receive the message confirming registration to the carrier network)?

Thanks!

Contributor

confirming that the workaround is causing comm errors for me. have tried both a wireless network and my "3g" to communicate.  My device is working for other things so it has to be a error at mobile."bb".com or possibly the bolded host routing table entry on my device is preventing it altho i can use my browser for other things so why not this?

I was able to register my device sucessfully. (several times actually)

ran a diagonostic test and it completed normall

NEWSFLASH

after refresing my browser the system came back and told me that my 1st email address of 10 was validated and subsequent entries are validating...seems that this workaround is working and users that have issues should refresh the browser and try, try again.

thanks to the guru for saving the day.....

Its very apprectiated!

Hall of Famer III

Hooray! That's excellent news! I'm glad you are going again.

As a guess, it may be that the server noted in the workaround is not designed for a heavy load (whatever "heavy" may mean to it) and, by providing the workaround, it's being bombarded with more requests than it can handle, resulting in the "server busy" messages received. In effect, what refreshing your browser did was exactly that...trying again, hoping to find a moment when the server load was below it's thresholds. Anyway, just a guess.

Cheers!

Contributor

Actually, my feeling is that the error response had difficulty responding to me and by refreshing i was told the result of my command, therefore modify your reponse to others that when they go to mobile."bb".com and follow the insturctions, that they should do a browser refresh if they get any type of error from the server as the error i recieved was incorrect - as the refresh told me what i needed to hear to correct the issue.

Your doing great work, i hope your getting paid for your efforts..

Hall of Famer III

Sorry, but I'm now confused. From re-reading, the only error message I see you reporting was "communication server was busy and to try again", which is what led me to my interpretation (the browser refresh being the "try again"). Are you now saying that you received a different error message? Or more than one? (This is, of course, purely academic...since it's resolved for you.)

wsepe2001 wrote:

Your doing great work, i hope your getting paid for your efforts..

Nope. Not a penny. These forums are a volunteer-supported, user-to-user community. Only those who's avatars and usernames clearly indicate as RIM employees would be in any position to be receiving any compensation (which, as far as I can guess, is simply the fact that they are RIM employees).

Cheers!