Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Failure to sync with Outlook

I've had my 8330 curve for about 2 months, and previously wrote about this problem, that of syncing over XP Dell with Outlook 2007.  I briefly had success, after not having success before and giving up.  That is, I was able to sync everything.  But then I began to get the same messages, "The operation terminated unexpectedly," and then when I would try again, "unknown error reported," first on an intermittent basis and then every time.  I have done multiple clean uninstalls, and reinstalls of multiple versions of desktop software, none involving Roxio.  After each installation, and subsequent attempt at syncing, much syncing appears to occur, including asking me for acceptance of differences, before I get the first message again and no data is transferred in the end.  Recurrent attempts lead then to the second message.

I took my phone to the Verizon store, because I was also having trouble reaching some internet sites.  The did a hard reboot which wiped out my calendar (which I had been laboriously truying to keep separately on by BB and my computer) and lost the calendar on the BB.)  They failed to tell me (an I did not know at the time) that I could have backed up my BB data on the computer, and now I have a blank calendar on the BB.

Does anyone have any other ideas for how I might effect appropriate syncing between my BB and computer?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Stgeorgelee

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Failure to sync with Outlook

I think I recall going through this with before.

The most common of errors in the sync involve attachments to calendar entries, or some odd data in a calendar entry.

Also, lack of a proper USB port for the sync, such as you should be connected to a powered rear USB port on the PC.

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Errors_syncing_the_BB_with_Desktop_Manager

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Error:_Desktop_Manager_has_encountered_a_problem_and_needs_to_close

Check the knowledge base articles for detail.

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/searchEntry.do
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Thanks for sending me the info on resolutions.  I have corrected my Address book entries in Outlook, making sure all have first and last names and company.  I have also checked my calendar for attachments and there are none; yet I am still haveing problems.  Sometimes when I attempt to sync (the "best" results), before I get the "The operation terminated unexpectedly" message, the system seems to go thru all the Address book syncing, and stops during the attempt at Calendar syncing (the thing I need the most) and I get the above message. 

Any thoughts or insights in particular regarding the Calendar problem, or anything further?

Thanks

New Contributor

Try checking the log file in the BB DTM.  It may give you a clue as to where it is hanging up.  THen google whatever error you find.

In my case, I had the same thing happen.  I had to limit the sync to just future calendar events as one of my older events was corrupted and I could not figure out which one....

Good luck.

Highlighted
New Contributor

oh yea... also try sync'n only one class of objects at a time to figure out what is causing this.  f.e.   Setup the sync to do just calendar first.  If that does not work, check the log file.  The do address book only.  If that fails, check the log file again.  etc.

Contributor

I was thinking about syncing each part, one at a time, but with the newer software, I don't see how to do this.  Is there a way I can easily do this with 4.5 or later?
Contributor

Go figure.  I arbitrarily decide to remove my 4.5 program (as I had done to the 4.7 before it) and download 4.2 with Service Pack Two.  I initially set it up to only sync my calendars, which it did successfully.  On repeat setup, synched my calendars, address books, and notes without any problems!  At least I have my calendar back on my BB.  I am going to hold my breath to see if the synching continues to work and let you know in a couple of weeks.  Thanks to all who put in helpful solutions.