Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Fido Roaming Problems/WiFi Connection Issues

I bought an unlocked Rogers Bold, and when I put in my Fido SIM Card, it connects to the Fido network, but as roaming. Any ideas why?

Also, I'm able to connect to my WiFi network at home and at school, but my Bold for some reason can't register an IP address on the networks, and therefore the WiFi icon is gray instead of white.

I tried a hard reset, but it didn't do anything on either front.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Developer
My Device: You wish.

Re: Fido Roaming Problems/WiFi Connection Issues

If its roaming you didn't buy an unlocked Bold unfortunately. Check under the SIM card option and see if it says if SIM security is disabled.

As for the Grey WiFi that doesnt mean you don't have an IP it means you aren't connected to a BlackBerry Wifi service. Try pulling up the Hotspot browser and hitting a website to confirm.

New Contributor

SIM Security is unlocked. I can make and recieve calls fine on the phone..

Regarding the WiFi, I pulled up the HotSpot Browser, and it said that I need an active WiFi connection. The Bold searches and finds the networks fine (one is at school -open and unsecured network, the other one is at home -WEP key secured). It attempts to connect to the networks, but in both cases says "Unable to Connect. Reason: Failed to obtain an IP Address."

Is there a setting on the Bold that is not allowing it to obtain an IP address from these networks?

New Contributor

Anyone have any suggestions?
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: You wish.

By default it should be trying to obtain an IP via DHCP, nto sure why your home router isn't working but the school is probably smart and assigns static IP as they are concerned about security threats and people accessing the network.